CHAPTER NINE

When Fane walked into the mansion, his mother strode down the grand stairs, a big smile on her lips. "I'm happy to see you're fully healed."

She gave him a kiss on the cheek before leading him into the living room where his father was at and motioned for him to seat down.

"What's going on?"

His father set a box on the table. "This is for your beloved."

Fane took it and opened it to find his grandmother's ring in it. He stared at it for the longest before closing the box.

"Is everything okay?" His mother asked. "I thought you said—"

He hesitated for a moment. "I'm afraid, mother."

"You think she's going to say no? Son, that girl loves you."

Part of him, truly wanted to believe that. However, how many times had she given him hope to then tear his heart apart.

"I think you should really discuss this with her," his father stood. "I know why you feel this way and it's understandable. Both of you need to stop playing games and make a final decision."

He put the small box in the pocket of his jet black jacket before standing. His eyes narrowed when he sensed his beloved in distressed. As he focused, he connected with her to make sure she was okay.

"I think she's going to say yes," his mother said. "We're going to have a big celebration."

When his father stood and excused himself, he stumbled. Fane moved and helped him regain balance. "Father, is everything okay?"

"I just need to rest—" He held a hand against his chest before lines began to spread through his body, intertwining to form tribal marks.

Fane felt his heart be torn to shreds when his father lost all consciousness and collapsed. His mother screamed in agony as she knelt beside him. Fane stumbled back, enveloped in an immense pain that made it difficult to speak, breathe.

"Guards!" At his voice, the guards came to aid him with his father. Once they had put him in his room, Fane rushed out, feeling the pain spread through his veins.

Elisa ran down the large corridor toward him but he didn't let her help him. "Father—help him!"

She hesitated but rushed into the bedroom. Elisa was a powerful witch but Fane doubted she could do anything. They had been deceived, made to believe that his father had healed when in reality the poison had been within all this time.

He let out an animalistic sound as his body became colder. Star came and hugged him. "Don't! Please don't shut it off!" She sobbed, burying her face in his shirt. "Please, Fane."

The screams of his mother could be heard throughout the mansion. Fane stared into the distance, wishing that he could feel nothing. The immense pain threatened to devour him and send him into madness.

Within an hour, everyone had arrived but Fane didn't speak to any of them. He stayed in his room, sitting on his bed, trying his best to remain in control and not lose all his sanity.

At the creaking of the door, he averted his gaze to the floor. "Leave."

His mother crouched in front of him, eyes blood shot. "Son, your father wouldn't want you to drown in your sorrow." She paused, clearly not trying to breakdown. When she hugged him, he didn't respond at first. Tears flooded down his face as he finally hugged her.