CHAPTER THIRTEEN

For the longest, Star had pretended to be okay, hiding the fact she was breaking to pieces, slowly madness taking hold of her and consuming her whole.

As any friend would, without thinking, Fane moved to help her. Star didn't waste time and launched herself at him going for his throat.

Instinctively, Belinda stepped forward to try to help him. She didn't get far though. Niko and Abraham held her back by the arms.

He managed to get her off him. "Stand down!" Some vampires had moved to aid Fane, but at his order, they stood back.

"I'm so thirsty." As tears streamed down her face, she held her quivering hands over her temples, letting out a cry filled with agony. Her eyes flickered scarlet for a brief moment before deepening and turning back to pitch-black. Then she was gone.

"Find her—bring her alive!"

The room emptied out within seconds.

"Elisa opened a portal, now," Belinda said.

"Where are you going?" Asked Keisha.

Fane grabbed her arm. "Stay here."

Belinda shook her head as Elisa opened a portal. "I have to get home—Denarus can help her."

"How can—" Fane's eyes darkened. "Since when?"

"Two years ago."

Fane's eyes widened before they revealed the pain within. "She's been suffering for that long...and I've never noticed."

"She hid it well," Elisa said. "We have to find her before she becomes consumed by darkness. If she changes into one of the beast—Fane, we won't be able to save her."

Belinda didn't continued to waste time and leaped through, aware that  Fane would fallow. She must have had too much on her mind; they were in the forest instead of inside her house.

She began to walk as fast as she could through the woods enveloped in an silent eerie darkness. Heart palpitating like a crazed animal in cage, she paused so that she grabbed the hem of her dress and rip it to shreds.

Fane stood beside her, his silvery eyes swiveling in every direction. "She can't be that fast."

Belinda whirled around at a sound to find Star standing still as a statue. She tilted her head to the side before opening her eyes to reveal an immense darkness.

"I can—I can sense him."

Belinda's eyes widened, knowing well Denarus wouldn't have removed his bracelet. She ran forward. Star attempted to get to her, but Fane caught her hand and flung her in the air as if she weighted nothing.

"Go! I'll be fine."

Belinda hesitated before sprinting through the woods in the direction of the town. For a moment, she was thankful she continued to be fit during her pregnancy—If not, she wouldn't have been able to reach the town in time.

And perhaps the vampire blood coursing through her veins aided her as well.

When she stormed through the front door of her house, everyone glanced at her, shocked.