2. Parties Are For Ghouls

"Ladies and gentlemen: Truth is now acceptable. Fame is now injectable. Process the progress. This core is critical. Faith is unavailable. Lives become incredible. Now, please, understand that." --- Planetary (GO!)

---

Parties Are For Ghouls

I tug the blanket I was given up to my chin, wrapping my ankles up in the end of it. The night is cold, but the diner provides shelter from the chill wind. The sound of snoring fills the room whose corner I'm curled up in. I'm closest to the door leading out into the main room where we ate dinner. This room is smaller, but it holds the five of us comfortably. Well, comfortably enough.

I twist my body around so that I'm looking out at the rest of the occupied space. Kobra Kid is fast asleep on my right, across the room and leaning his head on the same wall as myself. His face is just as deadpan as when he's awake, if not just a bit softer around the eyes.

Jet Star dozes in the dead center of the room, his head propped up on his arm and his other arm slung across his chest. His legs are bent at awkward angles, but it must feel fine because he hasn't moved since he laid down.

Fun Ghoul and Party Poison are a different story, however. They're lying side by side, Ghoul on the left and Party on the right. Their heads are tilted enough that their foreheads almost touch, and from where I'm lying it almost looks like they're sharing the same blanket. Almost.

Damn. That's a tight bromance.

I can't exactly pinpoint the source of the snores, but I'm willing to bet that it's coming from all of them, as it's one loud chorus. Well, maybe not Kobra. From what I've seen of him, I don't think he's capable of making such a weird noise. His brother Party, on the other hand, has his mouth gaping open. Obviously, he isn't quite as reserved.

I roll back onto my side so I'm facing the wall and lay my head on my arm. My hair falls over my face, and I halfheartedly brush it back into place. I close my eyes and slow my breathing, letting the sound of snores fill my ears and lull me off to sleep.

***

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Wake up. Wake up. Paranoia, wake up. Paranoia, get your ass up!"

I groan softly and throw my arm over my eyes, snuggling deeper into my ragged blanket. Someone's pestering me, but I'm too tired to see who it is. I mumble something incoherent and turn my head away. Whoever the person is, they keep prodding me with their finger, nudging my shoulder forward. My brain is still feeling fuzzy from sleep, so it doesn't really bother me.

"Holy shit! Draculoids! Battle stations!" the person screams suddenly.

I jerk upward, holding my orange ray gun at the ready, pointing it at whoever was trying to wake me up. The blurry haze of sleep faded in a millisecond; every sense is now on red-alert and looking for danger. When my eyes stop darting around to every corner of the room, I see that my gun is nearly pressed against Ghoul's nose. He doesn't look surprised, or even angry. Instead, his brown eyes look mischievous and a smile is plastered on his smug face.

I kick the blanket off my legs as Party, Jet, and Kobra come sprinting into the room, each of them holding their own gun. Party glances down at me and then almost immediately looks to Fun Ghoul, narrowing his eyes. "Ghoul, what the hell?" he demands.

Ghoul just grins at him. "Dude, you told me to wake her up. She wasn't cooperating. What else was I supposed to do?"

Jet is silently laughing from behind Party's left shoulder. Kobra doesn't laugh, but he actually gives me a cute - albeit brief - smile. Party himself stares disapprovingly at Ghoul for half a second before before doubling over in laughter. "That was awesome!" he gasps out between chuckles. "Paranoia, you should've seen your face. As if we'd let a bunch of Dracs break into the diner. Come on!" So the boys were planning it all along, then?