14. Korse Behavior

"Love, love, love won't stop this bomb, bomb. Love won't stop this bomb, bomb. Love won't stop this bomb, bomb. Love won't stop this bomb. Run, run, bunny, run! Run, run, bunny, run!" ---

S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W

---

Korse Behavior

I stick a new battery into my orange ray gun and wait for it to power up. After a few minutes, the light on the underside blinks on. Fully charged.

We're all in varioius stages of preparation. Show Pony and Dr. D are sending out another transmission, letting the Killjoys know that we're heading out for Battery City. Kobra is slipping his arms into his red jacket. Party is...adjusting his pants? Now he's tying his shoes. Okay. Well. Ghoul and Jet are outside, rooting through the trunk of the Trans Am.

I pull my beanie down over my hair and zip up my green jacket until it almost reaches my neck. I crouch down and check my boots, making sure they're not coming untied. Exhaling shakily, I straighten back up. I rub my sweaty palms on my jeans and head out of the radio station. I want to see this bomb I'm supposed to be setting off. I feel Party's eyes on my back, but I don't turn around and he doesn't follow me.

"Hello, boys," I call out as I approach, keeping my voice steady. Now's not the time for second thoughts. "Can I see it?"

Ghoul smirks. "Not in public, Paranoia. Jet's here, and I don't think it'd make Party too happy if he caught us."

Jet smacks the shorter guy upside the head. "You're sick. Sick." He reaches into the trunk while Ghoul rubs the back of his head with a grimace. "Here it is. Don't worry, it's not as heavy as it looks." Jet appears again, holding a metal cube with all sorts of wires attached to it. He passes it over to me. It's just a little bit bigger than my hand and feels hollow.

I look up at him. "This is it?"

"What do you mean, 'this is it'? That's what's going to blow up all of BLI and the Dracs that come with it!" Jet argues back, incredulous that I'd even think to doubt his work. "Don't underestimate her."

I raise my eyebrows, amused. "Her?"

Jet sighs and jerks his thumb at Ghoul, who nods vigorously and steps forward. He turns the cube over, showing me something scrawled hastily on the bottom in captial letters. "What's it say?"

"DESTROYA!" Ghoul shouts suddenly, fist pumping the air. I think back to the song Ghoul and Part danced to and smile. "And she is not an 'it'. She is a 'she'. And she is a bad ass that you are not to press any buttons on until it's time to blow shit up."

I laugh and pat his face. "All right, all right. Care to show me how it works?"

The careless, energetic demeanor leaves Ghoul's expression. Now it's all business. "These wires connect the tubes attached to the inside of the bomb." He points to a red button on the top of the cube. It's obvious what that is. "When you press the button to set the bomb off, the chemicals in the tube will mix, creating an explosion that will tear both the box and everything within a two-mile radius to shreds." He taps a little glass piece beside the red button. "This screen will tell you exactly how long you've got until it blows. As soon as it lights up, you high tail it out of there. Shiny?" I nod. "Good."

I turn the box over in my hands again. "And you're positive this is going to work?" I ask, just for clarification purposes.

Jet looks slightly nervous. "Well, not entirely. Ninety-five percent certain. Which is still good odds!" he adds quickly when he sees my astonished face. "Ninety-five percent means that it will almost definitely work exactly like it's supposed to. The worst case scenario is that the chemicals don't mix right and the bomb doesn't go off at all. If that happens, you still need to get the hell out of the building. Okay?"