7. Take Back the Missile

"At the end of the world, or the last thing I see. You are never coming home, never coming home. Could I? Should I?" --- The Ghost of You

---

Take Back the Missile

"Well, if we're being honest, this is not what I was expecting when I saw they were both gone."

"Yeah? And what exactly were you expecting, Ghoul?"

"I don't know, probably an occupied backseat in the Trans Am."

"Now, see, I was thinking more along the lines of the diner's bathroom."

"Are you kidding me? That place is disgusting!"

"You both are disgusting!"

"Don't be jealous, Kobra. All I'm saying is that Party would probably be up for anything, anywhere. He's got it bad for her."

"You make my brother sound like some sex-driven animal."

"Well, when you put it like that - "

"Nobody asked you, Ghoul!"

"Hey, don't be mean to the little guy. It's actually kind of funny when you think about it."

"Funny how, Jet?"

"I don't know. It sounded intelligent when I said it."

"Whatever. Should we wake them up or not?"

"We've got to think of a plan at some point."

"Yeah, but they look really cute! And Party looks really comfortable. Damn, I wish that was me!"

"Shut up, Ghoul."

***

As soon as the footsteps fade away, I open my eyes. I'm still curled up against Party's chest, and his arms are still wrapped tightly around me, keeping me from falling out of the booth. I trace my eyes from his shoulders, up the side of his neck, along his chin, and pause a little longer than I should on his lips. Then I move on to his eyes. They aren't closed like I thought they would be. Instead, they're locked on mine.

I blush. "How long have you been awake?"

"Long enough to hear them talking. Creeps." He laughs quietly. "Nice of them to let us sleep, though."

I smile and whisper back, "Yeah. Really nice." I pause. "Um, should we get up now?"

Party shakes his head and shifts positions, moving me higher up on his lap. The blanket has started to slip off, so he fixes it, tucking it in until it's snug around us. He then ducks his head down and lays his cheek on top of my head. "No. I want to stay here." He breathes in deeply; I feel his chest move beneath me. "I could stay here for a lot longer than I should."

I sigh softly and lean into him like before. I allow myself to relax for a while and just listen to Party breathing, along with the voices of our fellow Killjoys in the other room. I'm on the verge of falling asleep when I'm struck by sudden thoughts of Missile Kid. We can't be enjoying ourselves right now. We have to find her!

I pull away and almost collapse onto the floor. Party catches me just in time. I shake my head at him and stand. "Party, we can't do this. Not now."

He gives me a confused look, almost hurt. "What do you mean? What's the matter?"

"Missile Kid. Did you forget about her? We need to make a plan, and we need to get our asses out there and find her!" I clench my hands into fists and rub them against my eyes until I see spots. Party just stands there quietly, which pisses me off more. "Don't just stand there and say nothing! Sorry to interrupt the moment you thought we were having, but we need to go!"