4. I Need More Than a Blanket

"Late dawns and early sunsets, just like my favorite scenes. Then holding hands and life was perfect, just like up on the screen. And the whole time while always giving, counting your face among the living." --- Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

---

I Need More Than a Blanket

We drive along the road in the dusty Trans Am away from the radio station, leaving behind a waving Dr. Death Defying and Show Pony. Missile Kid sits on my lap again, playing with my hands. I hum quietly to her and she nods along to the beat. I pull my hands out of her grasp while she's distracted and tickle her stomach, making her scream with laughter. The boys laugh along, Jet and Ghoul getting in their own sneaky pokes as well.

All is good.

A few more weeks have passed since the night Kobra fixed the radio. "Destroya" hasn't come on lately, meaning I haven't had to worry about Party snatching me up and singing provocatively in my ear. The very thought of it makes goosebumps appear on my arms, which Missile quickly takes notice of.

"What's the matter, Paranoia?" she asks, drawing the attention of the rest of the people in the car. Party glances at me in the rearview mirror, making my stomach flip uncomfortably. There's no way I can answer that question honestly.

I smile at her. "Nothing!" I say in a singsong voice. "I just had a cold flash." They accept this explanation without another word.

I relax back into the seat, wrapping my arms around Missile Kid's waist and pulling her back with me. She lays her head on my shoulder and closes her eyes, quickly dozing off.

We pull up outside the diner an hour or two before sunset. "Paranoia, you stay here," Party orders.

I stare at him, confused. "Why?"

"Because I asked you to. Please. We'll be right back."

He gets out of the car an strides quickly into the diner. Kobra follows after moving the passenger seat forward. Jet climbs out and waits for Ghoul, who has to awkwardly try and crawl over me while avoiding hitting Missile. Needless to say, I got a Ghoul ass in my face.

"You like it," he calls over his shoulder as he and Jet head inside. I just shake my head, unwilling to grace him with a response.

I drum my fingers against the sleeping girl's leg, humming to her again. Soft snores, quiet enough that I almost can't hear them, are the only sound in the car. My eyes grow heavy as the minutes pass by.

"Paranoia!"

My eyes snap open upon the return of my friends. The first thing I see is Ghoul's ass hovering an inch in front of my nose. I actually scream. "Get the hell away from me!"

Ghoul laughs loudly and plunks down on my left. Jet is holding his stomach on my right, laughing so hard that no sound is coming out. Kobra has his hand over his mouth like he's trying not to smile. Party actually looks a little bit pissed off. "Ghoul, stop harassing her!" he scolds with a frown.

Ghoul looks a little crestfallen, like he expected Party to think his prank was funny. I pat his hand so the redhead can't see. "It was funny," I murmur to him. "But I'd appreciate you not doing that again. Next time, I'll shove you over the seats headfirst."

He nods solemnly. My scream had woken Missile Kid up, so now she's back in a seated position. "What happened?" she asks.

"Oh, nothing, sweetie," I reply, running my fingers through her hair. I look to Party, trying to keep my voice level. "So what were you four doing in the diner?"

Kobra answers for his brother. "Getting food and some sleeping bags and blankets."

"What for?"

"We're gonna camp out tonight!" Jet answers happily. "It was a last minute decision."