12. Death Can't Hold Us Back

"Can't find my way home, but it's through you and I know what I'd do just to get back in her arms. Can't find my way home, but it's through you and I know what I'd do just to get back in her arms." --- My Way Home Is Through You

---

Death Can't Hold Us Back

I'm lying in the middle of the floor in the bedroom on my back, once again where Jet would sleep when he was still alive. I'm under five blankets, mine and the four that my friends would use. If I breathe deeply, I can still catch traces of each one of them. You'd think they'd just smell like sweat and dirt, but they don't. They're all different. I don't even know how to describe it.

I've been lying here for three days. I haven't moved, except the rare occasions when I had to pee. I don't eat or drink anything, so I'm not sure why I'd have to. But, oh well. I don't mind. Anything to let me escape from my thoughts.

A hand strokes my hair. I turn my face to the left. Party's face is centimeters from mine as he runs his hand along the side of my face again. "I miss you, Party," I whisper. He smiles faintly and doesn't reply. He just continues to pet my face.

I can feel someone against my side. They hum softly and snuggle up closer to me, setting their head on my shoulder. I flick my eyes quickly in their direction. It's Ghoul, curled up beneath the blankets with me. "I miss you too, Ghoul," I murmur.

Jet and Kobra sit behind my head. I have to nearly roll my eyes back into my skull to see them. Kobra smiles stupidly and Jet grins. I sigh heavily. I know it's just my imagination running wild, like always, but I want to pretend that it's real. So when the four of them start to sing, I just close my eyes and rest my cheek on top of Ghoul's head as Party slides his arms around me. I smile softly, though the song is slightly morbid and sad.

"To un-explain the unforgiveable, drain all the blood and give the kids a show. By streetlight this dark night, a séance down below. There're things that I have done you should never know."

Their voices meld together in a hauntingly slow melody. Party and Ghoul hold me tighter. "And without you is how I disappear and live my life alone forever now. And without you is how I disappear and live my live alone forever now."

I begin to tear up. My imagination couldn't have picked a better song to serenade me with. This is exactly how I've been feeling. I'm disappearing, fading, just like my boys' projections, their false selves. I'm alone and slowly dying.

"Who walks among the famous living dead? Drowns all the boys and girls inside your bed. And if you could talk to me, tell me if it's so that all the good girls go to heaven. Well, heaven knows that without you is how I disappear and live my life alone forever now. And without you is how I disappear and live my life alone forever now."

I know this song. I have heard it before. My mind knows that I know it, so it stops singing and allows me to take over. I sit up, letting the blanket fall off my shoulders, squeeze my eyes shut, and sing out. "Can you hear me cry out to you? Words I thought I'd choke on, figure out."

The fake Party takes my face in both of his hands and takes over singing on his own. "I'm really not so with you anymore, I'm just a ghost. So I can't hurt you anymore. So I can't hurt you anymore!"

I fall forward, right through his body, and start to cry. All around me, the four of them evaporate, melting away back into the empty air. "And without you is how I disappear, and without you is how I disappear. Forever. Forever now," I sob, singing for myself, singing out in pain.

I miss you, guys. I want you back. I can't take these visions any longer.

***

"You should get up, Paranoia. It's been six days," Jet says, sitting by my head. "Or at least eat something. I don't want you to starve."