3. Dances With Kobras

"Hand in mine, into your icy blues. And then I'd say to you we could take to the highway with this trunk of ammunition, too. I'd end my days with you in a hail of bullets." --- Demolition Lovers

---

Dances With Kobras

Weeks pass. Missile Kid comes to stay with us at the diner every so often, and stays by my side all day, even curling up next to me at night. She must really enjoy having another girl to hang out with. All the testosterone would get suffocating after a while, I'm sure.

She's here again, sitting on one of the tables, swinging her legs back and forth and watching Ghoul perform magic tricks for her. Party looks on with an amused smile, and Jet looks just as captivated as Missile.

I'm with Kobra, watching him tinker with the radio. It's been going staticky lately, which isn't good if you want to hear Dr. Death Defying's updates on the struggle against BL/ind. In our case, that is a necessity. Everyone looks to the Fabulous Killjoys to be leaders in the fights against the Dracs. I guess I'm a part of this group now too, making me a role model as well. How did that end up happening?

"So how long until it's fixed?" I look across the table to Kobra. His tongue is poking out of the corner of his mouth as he scrutinizes the wiring inside the radio.

He glances briefly up at me, looking slightly annoyed. I've asked him that three times now. "The more questions you ask, the longer it's going to take."

I hold up my hands in surrender and get to my feet. "Touchy," I mutter under my breath.

I walk across the room and go to stand by Party. I lean my shoulder blades against the wall with my hips forward, mimicking his stance. I stare straight ahead for about a minute before I glance at the redhead. His eyes are crossed and his tongue is sticking out. I giggle at him and push his face away, making him collapse back against the wall. "Your face is going to stick like that," I warn him.

"But you'd still find me attractive," he replies cockily, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I nudge him with my shoulder. "You're acting like Ghoul." The black-haired man is a shameless flirt and loves to tease me.

At the mention of his name, Fun Ghoul looks up. He narrows his eyes at Party. "Hey!" he shouts in mock anger. "I already called dibs on Paranoia! Don't start acting all promiscuous or I'm gonna have to come over there and kick your ass!"

"That's a big word for someone so short!" Party calls back, making me double over with laughter. I brace myself with my hands on my knees. "Paranoia's mine, Ghoul! She likes her men to be tall!"

I straighten up and smirk. "Then wouldn't I prefer Jet or Kobra over you, Party?"

Party just stares at me, appalled that I would even suggest that. Jet winks at me and then starts to laugh, making Missile Kid giggle adorably as well. Kobra glances at me briefly when I say his name, shakes his head once, and then returns to the radio. I frown a little. "It was a joke, Kobra. It was funny. It's okay to laugh, you know."

"Yeah, Kobra, lighten up! Paranoia loves you, after all," Jet reasons in a teasing voice. Still, Kobra says nothing.

I bite my lip and set my shoulder blades against the wall again, crossing my arms. Party is standing so close to me that my left arm is just barely touching is. Did I make Kobra mad? He hasn't been this quiet before. "I made him mad, didn't I?" I quietly ask Party so that only he can hear.

He places his hand on the small of my back. I freeze. I am acutely aware of the pressure of his fingertips and can feel the heat from his palm through my jacket and tank top. My heart thumps painfully in my chest. If Party notices my rigid stance, he doesn't mention it. "No, you didn't," he answers back just as softly. "He just gets like that sometimes. Don't take it to heart."