11. Ghoul Lies and Violent Cries

"If I could be with you tonight, I would sing you to sleep. Never let them take the light behind your eyes. I've failed and lost this fight. Never fade in the dark. Just remember you will always burn as bright." --- The Light Behind Your Eyes

---

Ghoul Lies and Violent Cries

I lied. I'm not okay.

The days pass by so quickly without ever changing that I don't even know how long I've been suffering, how long it's been since they died. I'm sitting against the wall again, hugging my knees, while Dr. D makes another transmission. Missile Kid sits beside him in a chair, and Show Pony leans against the table. I'm on the opposite side of the room, like I'm infested with the plague.

I turn my head to the right. Jet smiles at me. On my left, Ghoul grins. Party sits directly in front of me, holding my hand in his. Kobra is beside him, smiling a genuine smile. That's how I know that they're just a figment of my imagination. Kobra doesn't smile. This has been happening a lot lately. I sigh and try to pretend that it's real, but I know it's not. There's no comforting warmth on the palm of my hand where fake Party's is pressed against it. There's no heat radiating from Ghoul and Jet's normally warm bodies. The sun bakes the ground outside and inside the radio station, but I am cold.

When Dr. D starts speaking, the visions of my four dead friends disappear. Party's hand fades out of mine. I choke down a strangled noise and press my face into my knees. "Good morning to all you junk punks still hanging in. Dracs are prowling the Zones, namely 5 and 6, looking for Paranoia and Missile Kid," Dr. D says. I lift my head. They're looking for me? "Now, I know that turning them in to BLI is the last thing on your minds, tumbleweeds, but in honor of our fallen Fabulous Killjoys - "

Suddenly, his voice crackles out as a loud squealing sound erupts in the radio station. The three of them jump and press their hands to their ears while I remain stationary, looking curiously at the radio the deejay had been speaking into. The sound stops, and Dr. D moves to start talking again, but someone beats him to it.

"Pardon the interruption, but we bring you an important news broadcast." Is it me, or does it sound a lot like Kobra Kid? I shake my head. It's not possible. He's dead.

"We're back, motherfuckers!" And that sounded like Fun Ghoul...

"Did you miss us?" Is that Jet Star I'm hearing?

"Paranoia?" My fingers clench around my jeans as Party Poison's voice fills the stunned room. "Sit tight. We're coming to get you, babe."

The radio fizzles again, and then everything is silent. Missile Kid, Show Pony, and Dr. Death Defying are staring at me, their mouths open in shock. I stare back, unsure of what to do. I can't have imagined what just happened, not if they heard it to. But it can't be true. They died. I saw them get ghosted. It's not possible that they can still be alive. And coming for me? It's obviously some sort of trick. Kobra Kid is dead. Jet Star is dead. Fun Ghoul is dead. Party Poison is dead. My boys are dead. And I feel like I am.

Missile Kid turns toward me, a smile breaking out on her innocent young face. She believes whatever it is that we just heard. She believes they are alive. But I've been imagining their voices and pretending they're still here for too long. My mind is just trying to deceive me.

"They're alive! They're alive!" she cheers, and Show Pony and Dr. D join in, laughing loudly. They share a group hug and then look to me, like they're expecting me to join in.

I don't. I run.

Straight out the door, leaving it to slam shut behind me. Past the van that I'd feel too guilty about if I stole. Right into the desert, my boots crunching in the sand and my body already starting to sweat in my shredded jeans and fluorescent green jacket. My brown hair flies backward as I run, creating a dark flag that waves in the windless air. Sobs are trying to escape my throat, but I do my best to choke them down. I hear Show Pony and Dr. D shouting behind me, but I don't look back.