Chapter 04: New Friends

Chapter Four 

NEW FRIENDS

"Hey, Amy," Pippa's voice drifted softly from the small bathroom, "should we get Chinese or pizza for tea?"

Amy ceased typing her e-mail as she replied, "Nick said that he wanted Chinese."

A moment later, Pippa's head peaked through the bathroom door with a strange expression upon her face, looking at Amy. Her left hand was holding up her hair in a ponytail as a hair elastic was frozen in her right hand. "When did you speak to Nick?"

"Uh, this morning," Amy answered. "He called to confirm that we were still doing this. You were still asleep."

"Oh." Pippa finished tying her hair in a high ponytail as she walked into the bedroom of her dormitory in which she shared with Amy.

The accommodation wasn't anything sophisticated or fancy, but it was sufficient - it served it's intention perfectly. From a third-storey hallway of Yale Law School, a large, multi-purpose room greeted Amy and Pippa whenever they pushed through the threshold created by a plain, walnut door adorned in gold numbers that read: '805'. There was a reasonable-sized television set, accompanied by a DVD player, set infront of a three-seater, bright red couch and a yellow-gold armchair. A low, wooden coffee table divided comfort from electronics, stained with coffee rings from previous tenants, sitting atop a plain floor rug.

Pushing past the lounge area, at the far end of the room, by a single lone window, was the kitchen. A small refrigerator in the left corner and a short length of yellow-cupboard counters was all it was. The benchtops were a plain white and there was no dishwasher in sight - except for the hands of Pippa and Amy, which, of course, Pippa had whinged about for hours when they'd first arrived. There was no dining table to compliment the kitchen for it simply wouldn't have fit in the small space available.

On the right wall of the room, a single brown door - almost identicle to the front door, was located midway. Through such a door was Amy's and Pippa's shared bedroom. There were two double-sized beds, each at either end of the rectangular room. A matching dresser was at the foot of each bed with a communal wardrobe between them. Then, there were two study desks, one for each tenant, between the two beadheads. Amy was currently sitting at the left desk, as she'd taken the left side of the room, e-mailing her mother and sister in Australia.

From the left end of the bedroom was the final room within the dormitory - a small, communal bathroom. With white tiles on the floor and walls, the small room had only enough room for a single shower, toilet, and sink. Pippa's paraphernalia had already swarmed the small benchtop with various cosmetics and hair products that Amy wasn't even going to begin guessing.

"I'll go call for the food then," Pippa eventually said after dwelling over the fact that Amy had spoken to Nick. She wasn't angry, but she was feeling an emotion unknown to her. Maybe jealously?

Amy nodded, returning to her e-mail, as Pippa exited the bedroom and entered the main room. Her fingers thrummed over the keys of her laptop computer again, answering the many questions Allison had asked her: "What's the weather like? What are the other scholarship winners like? Lori said that all Americans eat is donuts - do I need to send you some Aussie food? And Mum wants to know if the people are nice."

And Amy answered: "It's summer here, and so the weather is lovely and warm - the complete opposite of what you're experiencing now. Pippa and Nick are the other scholarship winners - both are really nice but I don't know them too well yet so I can't really judge. No, Allie, you don't need to mail me food - but yes, Americans do eat a hell of a lot of junk food: donuts, cream buns, pretzels, and what-have-you. And Mum, the people here are lovely - they all treat you with so much respect and admire the fact that we're here from Australia, studying at Yale."