Chapter 23: Sleepover

Chapter Twenty-Three 
SLEEPOVER

February

Almost a month had passed since Amy's emotional breakdown. She'd become extremely quiet and shy around Matthew after that day, perhaps because she was ashamed of her behaviour, and hadn't explained to Pippa or Nick until almost two weeks later when Matthew almost let it slip himself. But Amy took over from there, and explained the situation that had been briefly to Pippa and Nick. Matthew had held Amy's hand through the entire speech. And from that, Pippa and Nick had to assume that there was something more than friendship happening between Matthew and Amy. Especially when Matthew kissed Amy in front of them.

Amy's mother and sister had been in a crazed state after hearing how she'd reacted to the horrific anniversary of her father's tragic death. Mrs Carter had been brought to tears whilst Allison had spoken calmly to her sister whilst subtly changing topic to lighter things such as her pregnancy and upcoming wedding. Amy was going to be the maid of honour whilst Allie's friends made up the rest of the bridesmaids. Throughout the whole conversation with her family, Amy couldn't bring herself to mention Matthew. He was obviously playing a major part in her life at the moment, but she was scared how her mum, sister and Jackson would react. Badly, surely. Amy wasn't prepared to deal with more drama at the moment.

There was something that Amy could smile about, however. The weather seemed to be warming up a little. Yes, it was still cold at times, but the days were warming up a fraction of a degree at a time. The rain started to let up slightly and it became less and less windy. Amy was itching for summer to hurry up and warm the air.

Yale students' workloads continued to build up as the year continued, and Amy found herself struggling a little to catch up. She'd reluctantly accepted Matthew's offer for assistance, but soon found that she would have flunked out if he hadn't helped her. They were sitting around the dining table at Matthew's house, studying hard for the end of year exams that seemed only a snap away, even though it was a good five and half months to go yet.

"Hey, Matt," Amy started asking one of her million questions, "what're the crimes that involve capital punishments again?" Although Amy was disgusted in any use of capital punishment - she was extremely thankful that Australian methods of capital punishments ended nationally after Ronald Ryan - but the information was part of her law degree, and so she had to learn about it all.

"Well there's treason - that's probably the main one - the highest form of treason, I guess," he said as he continued to study his own text books. "Then there's some cases of murder where it can apply. I think that's about it. It's not as common as it was years ago, but it still exists."

Amy used this information to look up capital punishment and was disgusted in what she found. There were pictures - well, more like sketches - detailing the different methods of capital punishment used. Hangings, the firing squad, overdoses, electric chairs, and other torturous methods were right under Amy's nose. She felt like vomiting again. She snapped her textbook shut and threw it onto the table in front of her, looking at it in complete disgust. How could someone depict such attrocities in a book. Seeing all the different ways people could die was a disgusting thought for Amy, especially only weeks after her own father's death anniversary.

Matthew looked over his computer curiously. "Finished?"

Amy met his gaze, feeling the warmth and intesity of his brown eyes. "No. I feel sick."

Matthew dropped his pen, standing up immediately and walking around to the other side of the table where Amy was sitting. "Do you have a fever?" he asked, putting his hand over Amy's forehead. "Do you want some Tylenol? A hot drink? Do you need to lie down-"