Chapter 33: Compromise

Chapter Thirty-Three
COMPROMISE

Amy watched Matthew incredulously as he spoke to her mother. She was awestruck at the ease in which Matthew spoke to Jennifer Carter, and the confidence that sounded in his voice.

"Alright then; thank you Mrs Carter, I look forward to meeting you. Bye-bye now."

Matthew hung up the phone, placed it down on the coffee table in front of him before looking into the scorching eyes of Amy. His breath caught as Amy leapt at him, throwing him back against the couch as she kissed him roughly. He smiled as he kissed her back for a moment before asking, "What's the occasion?"

"There doesn't need to be an occasion," explained Amy as she kissed him some more. "But, in this particular case, it would probably be that I think you are the most wonderful person in the world."

Matthew gave a crooked smile as he stroked Amy's hair. "I love you."

Amy kissed him once more before moving off the couch and pulling at Matthew's arm, encouraging him to stand. Reluctantly, he did, and Amy began dragging him down the hallway toward Matthew's study.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Booking your flight, silly," said Amy, rolling her eyes as though it should have been obvious. "Then we'll go get your VISA organised and everything else."

At that, Matthew did not argue. He walked into his study behind Amy, sat down on the leather chair behind his desk and started up his Mac Book. Amy sat on the desk for a moment before deciding Matthew's lap would be more comfortable. She climbed onto his lap, with many grunts from Matthew - but no objection - and eventually found her niche, leaning back against Matthew's warm chest.

"What did Mum talk to you about?" Amy asked as Matthew opened the Safari browser.

"Secrets; can't tell you."

Amy's mouth hung open. "Excuse me? That was my mother you were talking to, surely I have a right to know what she said to you."

"Not in my house, you don't." When Matthew looked at Amy, he quickly amended, "She didn't talk about anything interesting, really. She wanted to know who I was, what I was doing for work or school, and then asked a bit about us - everything you know already."

"Hmph."

"I swear that's all she asked. She said she'll probably call you sometime soon and discuss it a little more in detail, but until then, it's all systems go. Now, when's your flight - I'll see if there's a seat on that flight."

"American Airways... eleven a.m. on July sixth from JFK, then Qantas from Fiji to Brisbane; Brisbane to Melbourne."

"Far out," was Matthew's response as he began searching the world wide web for flights to match that exact criteria whilst Amy sat and watched.

After twenty minutes of continuous back and forth searching for available flights, Matthew announced to Amy - who was now sitting on the opposite side of the room, studying one of her textbooks for her assignment - "Amy, there are no seats on any of your flights left."

Amy looked up from her book - her glasses perched high on her nose - and asked, "What?"

"I can't get a seat on your flights - they're all booked."

Amy threw down her textbook and walked around the desk to see the evidence for herself. "They can't be..."

"They are - the earliest flight is a week after yours."

"Are you sure?" Amy asked, still disbelieving.

"Yes - I've double and triple checked. There are no flights to match yours on the sixth of July."