Chapter 20: Memories

Chapter Twenty 

MEMORIES

January

What triggers pain? Memories. And standing there, frozen in the middle of Time Square, Amy was bombarded with memories of her teenage years. But most traumatic was her memory of her first kiss. She'd shared it with none other than Oscar Middleton, and it had happened in only her first year of high school.

Amy had been excited with the new atmosphere of high school and how it differed from primary school. In secondary school, boys didn't have 'boy germs' or 'cooties' anymore, and instead of running away from them, they were now the only thing girls thought about. And Amy had been no different from any of them.

Although she'd only dated Oscar for no longer than a week (and that was a world record in Year 7), she'd been introduced to many aspects of relationships. Especially the kisses. They seemed so awkward and so forced, especially when they were in the middle of the school yard with hundreds of eyes on them. But at the time, Amy had enjoyed it. Her first kiss, however, had not been like anything she'd ever imagined.

It was worse.

Oscar had led her behind one of the buildings and taken things into his own hands immediately. Amy hadn't even caught her breath before Oscar had crashed his mouth to hers in the most repulsive way possible. To Amy, it felt as though Oscar was trying to drop his tongue out of his own mouth and into Amy's instead. He'd held her so tight that it hurt, and his mouth felt disgusting against hers: it was too forceful. The kiss was too rushed, and didn't mean what it should have been. That day, she'd wished for a second chance at her first kiss, but knew she wouldn't get it.

But Matthew was showing her that she could start again, and have a relationship with him that she consciously approved of. One where she'd be able to have a say - input! - into what happened in the relationship. A relationship where she wouldn't feel pressured into anything she wouldn't want to do, say or feel; one where she could truly be herself in every aspect.

She didn't have time to watch the ball drop or let her thoughts continue any longer; the crowd cheered "ONE!" and Matthew moved his face directly in front of Amy's. His cold fingers reached the skin behind her neck and Amy barely had time to shiver before Matthew moved his own lips cautiously to Amy's.

They were soft, warm and delicious, but Amy's stayed frozen still in the sudden shock of the change of events this night. Matthew continued to kiss Amy slowly and lightly, cautious not to do anything rash, with the same frozen response. Amy eventually blinked her eyes closed and let a tear fall down her shocked face. But she didn't make any move to stop Matthew.

Matthew kissed Amy with real, raw emotion. Love. And there was no doubt of this, and Amy knew it. Oscar and TJ had both been trying to rise to the height of the popularity hierarchy in high school, and there was no other ultimatum than that. Except, maybe, of course, TJ wanting to get in her pants. But with Matthew, it was different.

Every time his lips kissed Amy's, he'd let his own linger there for a moment before kissing her again and again. He held Amy's face gently and with increasing precision and care, as well and wiping away the few tears he felt her shed. Matthew wanted Amy to know that he would support and comfort her in whatever way was necessary. Whether that was being her shoulder to cry on, her soldier to protect her from anything, her best friend to joke and laugh and enjoy the moment with, or her lover. He smiled into the kiss at the final part of the thought, surprised when Amy began returning the kiss hesitantly.

She started shakily, coughing and spluttering a little due to her built up tears and sobs, but she soon found a routine to work with and stuck to it. Whenever Matthew's lips closed around her own, Amy would take that moment to kiss him back, soft and hesitant still. But she knew that she wanted to. And she knew that if she were to picture the perfect way to begin a relationship, she knew Matthew was doing what she'd never have been able to put into words. It was better than anything she'd ever been able to imagine.