Chapter 15: Different

Chapter Fifteen 

DIFFERENT

When Matthew awoke in the late afternoon on Tuesday, his mind and thoughts were confused. The previous day came flooding back to him after he realised he had spent the night downstairs on the couch. But Amy wasn't there. None of the blankets he'd got from the cupboards last night were anywhere to be seen, and the house was surprisingly quiet. He sat up sleepily and looked around to see if he could spot Amy. Nothing. He couldn't even hear anything because the rain and hail outside was so loud and thunderous. He stood up onto the warm floorboards - the heating had been going all night - and walked past the kitchen and towards the hallway. It was here that he heard something.

"Mum, I'm fine. I promise."

It was Amy's voice, but it was quieter than usual and broken with sobs.

"I don't know. I've tried calling but the line's always busy. I'll try, but I can't guarantee anything."

A slight pause whilst Amy's mother spoke and Amy snuffed a sob. Matthew felt extremely rude listening in on Amy's conversation, but he couldn't pull himself away.

"I'm at a friend's place at the moment. So, maybe I'll stay here. I don't know. He's still asleep."

Even Matthew could hear Amy's mother's loud voice. "HE?!"

"Mum, please. Don't - Don't go making asumptions. It's nothing like that." Amy's voice was more hesitant when answering her mother this time.

The return voice was back to its usual soft tone and Matthew could no longer make out the words.

"Matthew," Amy answered her mother, but Matthew thought she'd addressed him, but then she continued, "His name's Matthew."

A short question from Amy's mother followed.

"Yes, he's really nice, Mum." And then she mumbled, "He reminds me of Dad."

Another reply from Amy's mother.

"Is Allie there?" Amy asked.

A short reply from her mother.

"Okay," Amy answered. "I should go, Mum. I have thirty missed calls from Yani and another twelve from Donna."

Matthew stopped prying on Amy's conversation and went into the kitchen where he collected a small box of tissues and walked the length of the hallway silently. He saw Amy sitting at the foot of the stairs, the blankets from the night before around her, with her mobile phone to her ear. Her face was drenched with tears as she gave a weak not of recognition to Matthew.

"I'll talk to you later, Mum. Get Allie to call me when she can. Bye." She hung up her phone and threw it beside her before burying her face in her hands. Matthew slowly sat down on the step beside her and offered her the tissue box. She took three and began wiping her eyes and her cheeks.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

She nodded a reply. "Yeah, I'm fine. Mum gets a bit emotional sometimes and I can't help but tear up, too."

Matthew ran his arm up and down Amy's back supportively. "You're allowed to get emotional. You've been to Hell and back."

"I s'pose," Amy mumbled. But in truth, the scene at the airport had been minor compared to horrifics she'd faced in her life previously. But Matthew didn't need to know about them. Not now, anyway.

"Do you want a tea or coffee?" Matthew asked.

Amy wiped away a few more tears. "Tea, please. Two sugars, only a little bit of milk. Too much milk ruins it."