Chapter 30: Fascination

Chapter Thirty 
FASCINATION

April

Matthew's phone vibrated in his jeans pocket as he pulled into the parking lot outside Yale. He found a parking space in the busy lot before pulling the phone out and answering it.

"Hello?" he asked, not concentrating on who the person was. He was too focused on the weekend ahead and the time he'd be spending with Amy.

"Matt!" exclaimed Matthew's friend of many years, Sebastian Lucas.

"Hey, Seb. What's up?" Matthew asked as he stepped out of his truck, locked it, and made his way toward the main building of Yale, trailing a large group of students.

"Ostyn, Kolton and me are catching up at Kolton's tonight. You in? We haven't seen you in ages!" Sebastian emphasised, dragging out the last word.

"Oh, um, I was going to spend the night with Amy..." Matthew said, reluctant to give up the time with Amy for his friends. Although, he hadn't seen his friends in quite a while, and there was great temptation to have a beer with them and catch up on each others' lives.

"Really? You two getting serious, eh?" Sebastian pried, itching for gossip.

Matthew remembered the night when he'd made love to Amy and the morning after. "Yes, we're serious."

"Well then you've gotta bring her along tonight; let us meet your woman! You can't keep her from us forever."

Matthew was willing to take on that bet, but thought otherwise. He remembered the night of Hallowe'en and suddenly thought the idea of Amy meeting Ostyn, Kolton and Sebastian to be a horrific one.

"You've already met her, Seb," Matthew reminded him sullenly.

"Yeah, well that wasn't a proper meeting. As I recall, she well, you know what happened."

"Of course I know what happened. Why else haven't I said 'yes' straight away?"

Sebastian thought for a moment. "Hmm, well, why don't you ask Amy if she'd like to come and then get back to me? You'll never know her answer if you don't ask her."

"You're being quite the optimist this morning," Matthew noted.

"Yes, because the party was what, six months ago? Surely that's long enough to start anew."

Matthew sighed, walking into the main corridor of Yale. "I'll ask her and get back to you."

"Mm-kay. Bye," Sebastian ended.

Matthew voiced his goodbye before shutting off the phone himself. He put it back into his pocket and rushed to his first lecture of the day.

Matthew's lecture with Mr Morgan seemed to drag. Most of what the lecturer said was repetition of what they'd already studied in the year, seeing as their exams were in June. And they'd be Matthew's final exams. Once finishing them - successfully, hopefully - he'd be a graduated law student with a law degree to undertake a legal profession anywhere in the world; even in Australia. That thought kept him grinning throughout the lecture whilst Mr Morgan continued to mumble this and that. Occasionally, Matthew would take note of what he was saying and write something down, but that rarely happened.

As midday approached, Matthew became hungry for Amy's presence. He wanted to smell her unique scent and hold her warm body in his arms. He wanted to kiss her lovingly and say those three words to her yet again. He'd never tire of telling her just how much he loved her.

When the lecture came to a close, Matthew filed out of the hall with the rest of the class and made his way to the library where he was due to meet Amy after her lecture. He walked slowly, held up by the mass crowds walking through the corridors. And out of nowhere, he was attacked.