Chapter 38: Graduation

Chapter Thirty-Eight

GRADUATION

June

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the class of 2010!"

The crowd witnessing the graduation of Matthew and his peers all stood in applause, Amy, Jake and Mr and Mrs Hamilton included. All the graduates - dressed in their long black robes - threw their hats into the air with a great cheer of accomplishment. The crowd then merged into one as the guests sought out their loved ones to congratulate them on their significant achievement.

Amy became lost in the hustle and bustle, unable to move against the many bodies pressing against her. Her hand was found by someone who took it confidently and pulled her toward themselves. Thinking it to be Matthew, Amy followed the hand eagerly, but as soon as she saw his head, she found that it was Jake who held her hand.

"C'mon, Amy - he's over here!" he called to her over the loud crowd.

Tripping and stumbling over chairs and feet, Amy followed Jake after his parents to find Matthew. They found him toward the front of the hall conversing with one of his fellow graduates whose family looked beyond excitement for their son.

"Matt!" Jake called.

"It's Matthew, sweetie," amended Mrs Hamilton, saying it as though it were a pleasant discussion.

Jake ignored her and pushed past her and Mr Hamilton to get to Matthew, Amy still attached to his hand. However, he released her hand as soon as they were close enough to Matthew that Matthew wouldn't see the gesture.

"Congrats, man," Jake said, shortly hugging his brother.

"I'll see you later," Matthew called over his shoulder to the man he had been talking to. "Hey, A-"

Amy kissed Matthew as soon as Jake had moved away, holding his head to hers tightly, not caring in the slightest is anyone saw or judged her. Matthew smiled and returned the gesture, but kept it shorter than what Amy would have liked.

"Congratulations," she murmured as Matthew released her.

"Thank you," Matthew grinned, holding Amy to his side. She wrapped her arms around his waist and he put an arm over her shoulders.

"Well done, son," Mr Hamilton said, shaking Matthew's free hand. "You've done well."

"Thanks, dad," Matthew said, a little awkwardly, as though this kind of thing didn't happen very often.

"Yes, er, good job, Matthew," said Mrs Hamilton strangely. Matthew thanked her nonetheless.

"Right, shall we get going then? The reservation's not until one, but with this traffic, I think it'd be best to leave now," said Mr Hamilton, looking at his watch.

"Sure," Matthew said looking down at Amy who nodded back.

With that, the Hamiltons and Amy left the large hall after managing to weave themselves through the mass of crowd. Amy clung to Matthew's side the entire time, following after Mr Hamilton's confident lead. The five of them squeezed out of the hall through the small exit and made their way to Mr Hamilton's private car - one that Amy didn't even want to guess how expensive it was. They all filed into the back of the car that had been styled like a limousine and the driver, Frederic, began the drive to the French restaurant Mr Hamilton had insisted upon. Amy had then felt obliged to dress for the occasion - a simple summer dress that entailed sophistication and youth within its fabric. With her bright orange and yellow dress, it made Matthew look like an emotional, colourless man in his black robes.