Chapter 16: I Wish I Could Save You from the Pain You've Been Through

Calum's POV; Two weeks later

"I never thought I'd say this, but I've really missed Indiana," Mari sighed, looking out the plane window as we landed in her hometown. We all laughed lightly before I patted her knee and unbuckled my seatbelt when the light went off to grab our carry-on bags from the compartment above us.

When we were finally allowed off the plane, the group went to baggage claim before heading outside. We all piled into the two Ubers Mari and Kenzie had called for while we got our luggage and we all set off for the 15 minute ride to Mari's house. She was practically bouncing in her seat with excitement while I just smiled slightly and watched the houses we were passing by.

The moment Mari's house came into view, she squealed loudly. Everyone else in the car jumped a bit, making her sink in her seat slightly.

"Sorry," she smiled guiltily, earning a simple chuckle from the rest of us.

Once we were all out of the cars, Mari led us to the front porch of her house. As she dug through her bag for her house key, she spoke again.

"Sorry if my mom starts crying," she mentioned, pulling the key out, "She gets really excited when I come home." We all nodded understandingly with smiles on our faces as she unlocked the door and pushed it open.

She put her finger to her lips as a signal for us to be quiet, wanting to surprise her mom before she knew we were there. Unfortunately though, we were busted.

"Mawi!" we heard down the hall. Mari's head shot up and the brightest smile appeared on her face as a toddler ran to her as fast as he could.

"Ashy!" she beamed, dropping her bags so she could pick up the little boy and toss him up into the air. She immediately caught him and held him on her hip, pressing kisses all over his face.

"Too wet, Mawi!" he giggled.

"Oh, I get it," Mari sighed dramatically, "Now that you're 4, you don't like when I kiss you anymore."

"Nuh-uh!" he insisted. She grinned at him and he smiled back, wrapping his arms tightly around her neck. "Miss you, Mawi," he told her, his voice muffled slightly by her skin, "When you come home?"

"You know I live in London now, bud," she said softly, but we could hear the sadness in her voice.

"But London too far," he pouted.

"I know," she kissed the side of his head, "But I promise that once this tour is over, I'll come visit you a lot more, okay?"

"Asher?!" we heard a woman call out in a panic as she rushed around the corner. The moment she rounded it and saw Mari, she froze, a wide grin spreading across her face not even a second later. "Mari!" she exclaimed, wrapping her and the little boy in a tight hug, "You said your plane landed tonight!"

"How was I supposed to surprise you if you knew what time my plane was landing?" Mari jokingly rolled her eyes.

"I should have known you were up to something," the woman laughed, shaking her head as she released her.

"Oh, c'mere!" Mari chirped, taking the woman's hand and bringing her toward us, "You already know the girls, but this is Michael, Calum, Luke, and Ashton-" She pointed to each of us as she said our names. "-Guys, this is my mom Lorraine and my brother Asher."

"Please, call me Lori. It's so nice to finally meet you boys! Mari talks about you all the time – especially you," she smiled at me. I grinned back shyly, feeling my face getting warmer. Mari cleared her throat, causing Lori to look at her as she raised her eyebrows. "Oh, right," she nodded, turned back to me, "Wasn't supposed to mention how she never seems to shut up about you." I glanced at Mari and noticed her face was bright red at this point, making me chuckle.