Chapter Four [Part 2/5]: Accident of Science

-Kate Firethorn-

Griffin was still slumped up against the wall, his hands pulled up over his face. It seemed like he was trying to gather his thoughts together. I rested my hand down on his shoulder, a jolt ran up my arm. He lifted his head, his hands slipping away from his face to reveal a dark mist behind his onyx eyes. I took a sharp breath feeling cut by that look.

"Jake killed your friend?" I stuttered, "I'm sorry."

He shook his head hesitantly and sighed. "I don't think so. It's a little more complicated than that."

I dipped my head, staring down at my bare feet. They were a little muddy from the park and an annoying damp leaf was still attached to the side of one. I'd ignored it earlier with everything else that was going on. The smell of dried dirt and stale blood hit my nose as I focused on it and I shivered back, my hand lifting from Griffin's arm in shock that an old scent could be so subtle and then punch me in the face.

Griffin caught my arm carefully, pulling me back to stand solidly on my feet but not shortening the distance between us. He frowned down at the dried mud on my feet. "Apparently your senses are partially selective," he nodded, "powerful too." He tried for a subtle smirk, but it fell flat with the sadness weighting him.

"How can you tell that, is it a scent I give off?" I narrowed my eyes at him, gently pulling my arm away from his hold as the muscles in my back tensed up. Fear running through me. It kept coming in waves and subsiding. There always seemed to be a reason to push back the fear and focus on something else. Just then irritation coupled with it and everything else fell away. Leaving me unsure and feeling sick, as the residue of blood still clung up my nose.

Griffin cocked his head to one side. "Jake made that same face when he realised his was selective. Only, he almost passed out too." A slight smile lifted his expression for a split second. Then it became sombre. "It can be an advantage." He closed his eyes, his jaw jutting out as if he regretted saying anything about Jake.

"Just how well do you know that... that... evil..." I crossed my arms at the same time Griffin did, my actions fast and aggressive, his slow and protective of himself. His eyes still shut tightly.

"He's not evil. Our ethics are just a little different." His teeth ground together as he spoke, but every word was soft.

I just stared at him for a moment, dumbfounded, before I could say anything. "He talked about slowly torturing me to death..." I snapped incredulously.

"He was joking," Griffin swallowed, gravely.

"Joking? Are you kidding me?" My hands were out by my sides, fisted.

His eyes opened and he looked up at me, the air felt colder and like the oxygen had been sucked out of it as his seriousness bore into me. "Perhaps there was some truth in it. The fact he was joking is not a lie." He paused, every word anchoring me into the ground as it felt as if gravity was increasing around me. "That it happened..." His eyes lowered, "is true."

"H-how could you even joke about it, if it happened?" I felt myself starting to shake, tears flooded my eyes. I closed them to push it all away. Instead my cheeks still became wet and I felt a sharp slicing sensation run along my collarbone. I snapped my eyes open again and looked down at myself, nothing. Not a mark. Just the memory of one.

Griffin pushed himself off of the wall and took a step towards me, his hand outstretched. I took a step back, scowling up at him and shaking my head vehemently. His scent was so strong up my nose it was maddening with the undertone of desperation so obviously mingled.