Chapter Fourteen [Part 3/3]: So Be It...

-Griffin King-

I could smell juniper and violet up my nose, a corner away I think. Soft voices, Swan and Kate, unmistakeably. Gentle footsteps rushed up the hall, in my direction, followed by the other set. I froze, unsure what to do as Kate rounded the corner, staring at me in shock. A sword held awkwardly in her hand. 

"Griffin," Her voice trembled. "What are you doing here?"

"Yes, what is a traitor like you doing in these halls..." Swan appeared by her side, lilac eyes narrowed on my face spitefully.

"Rescue party," I shrugged, unable to take my eyes off of Kate's appearance, covered in blood again. Not all of it her own, this time. What had happened in the last twenty-four hours? "Rin was in trouble."

In a blur, Swan's fist hit me hard in the face, sending me back into the wall and bloodying my lip. "You made a bit of a mistake, then." She held up a long katana in her other hand, about to swing for my head.

"Natalia please!" Kate desperately grabbing hold of Swan's elbow to keep her arm from coming down.

I moved up to my feet, drawing my own weapon. I actually brought it this time, in case I had any need of it.

"He's a traitor, Kate," Swan hissed, "and thus, my enemy."

Kate's face grew dark, lips becoming pert and pulled up together, eyes narrowing. Determination fixing into all of her features and her muscles all becoming stubborn and stiff as she moved herself in between Swan's sword and mine. "I won't let you two act like idiots, Daniels is on the loose, he's bigger and meaner than anyone I've met so far, and he's our common enemy. Wouldn't it be smarter to stick together on this one. We have a better chance of not dying ourselves and taking him out whilst we're at it." She snapped, her sword shaking in her hand.

I smirked, perhaps because it was a change from the girl she was when last I saw her, or because she didn't seem to understand Swan's feelings towards betrayal.

"Get out of my way, or so help me, I will go through you first." Swan's eyes narrowed on her sister.

Kate shook her head. "I don't think you will. I think you'll worry about father's reaction, just like Daniels said, you don't want to be known as a traitor yourself." She held her chin high, almost inviting Swan to act.

Frustration put a kink in Swan's lips, hate bubbling under the surface. "If father realises you two have any feelings for one another, he'll order me to kill you, and trust me, he'll want you to suffer for embarrassing him first." She warned, steel voiced.

Kate took a shaking breath, "So be it, he saved my life. He saved a strangers life, because he saw injustice and he wanted to put it right. He didn't know who I was. But you can be sure, if he hadn't intervened, if these traitors, hadn't helped me, I would still be dead anyway. Father owes them my life, they didn't even have to return me. I didn't have to come back. But we all did what seemed right." Her whole body was shivering, letting off little violet sparks, it was warping through me and by the way Swan shivered in unison, it affected her also. "So I'll save him from you, and let him help us deal with Daniels, who I think everyone has a score to settle with... and then I'll give back the gift I was given and did not deserve, this second life. Sparing you father's anger, and giving you the trigger to end me with later. So be it." She repeated, in a determined hiss.

Swan's eyes widened a little, then she tipped her head forward. Katana lowering to be at her side. "You're going to regret this later. But, as you say, so be it." She whispered, I watched a little glisten of water roll down her pallid cheek before she shook it off and stood straight. We all turned our heads to a muffled sound two corridors over. Scenting the air,

"Smoke," Kate mumbled, and without another word Natalia Swan was travelling towards it. Kate stumbled a little, so I took her free hand and felt the electric she gave off surge up my arm and make me shiver. She glanced up at me, the relief in her face as light as the resignation to death was heavy and my heart stung. But she managed a smile and then pulled me along the hall at a speed I could barely make usually. She was a Nocturnal built for speed when she wanted to be.