Chapter Fifteen [Part 2/5]: Add To The List...

-Natalia Swan -

 "Swan," a beep and Immanuel's voice was in my ear, urgent but relieved. "Andersen has just made the decision to inform all Trinity agents and staff to be on a red alert against Daniels, kill on sight."

"You convinced him?" I whispered in surprise, hand up to my ear piece as I moved quickly down the hall towards the smell of smoke. King and Kate lagging behind me, before they sped to catch up.

"Not exactly, Rin showed up and she brought the rest of Jennings footage, as well as some little known details about Daniels dealings." He told me as I paused at a corner, looking round carefully. Daniels had just zipped out of sight. I had no idea what he was up to. But I didn't like how calmly he was playing this.

"You can add kidnapping Kate, a second time, to the list." I muttered, glancing aside at Kate and Griffin next to me, their backs to the wall cautiously. Hands knotted together, I wanted to roll my eyes at them, only I hadn't the time.

"I think you're the one who'll have to add something to the list. He killed your mother. He created the cancer that killed her. I'm so sorry." His voice shook a little

I couldn't respond. My insides had become a bubbling mess, my mind a war zone with land mines going off everywhere. I gripped my sword a little more tightly, an image of my mother laid up in a hospital bed the last time I'd seen her. Skin a yellow kind of pale, eyes sunken and dark, no eyebrows, hairless head covered in a scarf. She'd just thrown up her last lot of food and was being cleaned up. The image fizzled into red, and I dashed down the hall, letting it blur around me. It was his fault. Everything was his fault.

My mother's sickness that sent me here, that took her from me forever. The coldness and the hurt I felt. The things I've seen. The things I've done, the person I've become. My friends leaving me, Amy's death, it was all because of Daniels.

I moved quickly, following his scent and leaving the other two far behind me as I moved out towards a dead end corridor. At the other side of it, Daniels sword in hand, accessing a hidden panel on one of the walls with his other. I charged him silently, holding my blade up to swing for his head. He detected it and flinched round, catching my blade against his. His weight sent me back, but I caught myself on the floor, skidding back on my heels.

"I've decided, no one else is allowed to end your miserable life, but me..." I felt my cheeks becoming hot and wet, my chest heaving, I was crying. Rage and pain, trailing down my face. Swinging my katana for him again and finding it met again.

"We need to do something to h..." Kate's voice behind me was cut short.

"No, this is her fight. If she needs us, we'll be here." Griffin had overheard, or he knew already what this bastard had done.

        "Swan, be wary, all compromised agents, any who are not loyal to me or your father, will turn. I repeat. You're going to have company soon, some of Daniel's men have a line connected to his wrist device and they're going to want to save their master." Cole's voice rang through my head, unwelcome. I tore my ear piece out and threw it to the ground so that I could focus on taking Daniels head clear off his shoulders.