Chapter Eleven [Part 2/3]: Wandering Thoughts

-Natalia Swan -

Rushing waterfall in my ears, tingling exploding icicles on my skin. Washing away blood and sweat not my own. So distinctly similar to my own, that it was disorienting.

I watched the trails of red run down the drain. It was easier to believe that after all these years I relished the opportunity to take everything out on her. Instead, it made me flinch. As if I could feel the pain of her impact with the wall ring through me.

I realise you don't start someone off as if they're in a fight for their lives, you start slow, that's how everyone begins. I looked down at my hands, pale and dripping with water, but every time I blinked the transparent liquid turned to red. Most people have time to adjust, I couldn't help but feel that my sister wouldn't be given the chance. Too many clues, from the serum that had turned her eyes violet to the way in which she arrived here. She is in a fight for her life, I couldn't treat it any differently.

I'd seen that penknife, I wasn't stupid. She has to learn quickly. Because it's only a matter of time before someone else spots it and calls out betrayal. And as always, I would be the one appointed to deal with it. The only time my father had referred to me with a pet name was when he called me 'his little angel of death'. I wondered, if the murky circumstances around his Living Angel's being here came to his attention, whether he'd be the one giving the order for his death dealing daughter to take care of it. He was the only one allowed to do as he pleased, everyone else had to do as pleases him.

Almost twenty-seven and still bitter. One of the things I try to wash away under my showerhead.

This was the closest I got to relaxing, but it only ever woke me up. Nerve endings firing with every water droplet, waking me from the numbness of the day. Preparing me for still more work ahead.

 I was good at a lot of things. So my job had no title. In charge, in power, but simply living to serve. Calling the shots, that were actually someone else's orders.

To be the best at getting whatever had to be done, done. Just so. To make myself worth something. To be useful to my father and his colleagues.

The only way to do that at Trinity Science is to put aside personal feelings, lock back individual thought and sell your soul to those in charge in the hopes that you won't be found wanting. Knowing one day you would be used up and thrown away. Only I'd seen what it meant to be thrown away here.

Gunshots. The shine of a sword. Skin melting. Fire charred leftovers. All flashing through my mind as memories I'd collected up from all the time I'd been here.

 Many are shielded from the reality of what happens when someone retires, quits, is let off, or who is seen as untrustworthy. They don't think about it, until it happens to them.

It's not always as straight forward as death. Dr Daniels and his team of Scientists make use of many as new test subjects. Because once you're in Trinity, it swallows you whole and no one outside ever expects to see you again anyway.

The world beyond Trinity had become colder. My early youth was spent in relative freedom, I knew the difference between a hard life with happiness and neighbours you trust to watch your house when you're away. To this much less sheltered prison and the climate change I'd witnessed from the outside world since I had arrived.

Everyone smiles, celebrating and bitching about the changing seasons and festivals in the same breath. They make ends meet, or they don't, but they keep going blindly. They're apathetic towards the needy and judgemental of those more fortunate. Distrust and ignorance is a way of life in this country now. Seeing what I have, it wasn't hard to imagine that this was one of the factories, breeding the closed minded and washing the minds of those who have no idea we even exist. We were the founding of a new movement in its infancy. Not a simple company. Not a tool to be used by the government that stands. But an authority in itself that I can't see staying background noise forever.