Chapter Seventeen [Part 2/2]: Burning Question

-Kate Andersen -

Standing outside the Lab Two doors, the air choking and oxygenless, no matter how much I drew into my lungs. A sense of urgency ringing from young Garner's heart beat where he stood, finger to earpiece.

    Andersen just informed one of the Units to detain Takeichi and King. Tell them to take the back way out, I'm ensuring he keeps his bargain despite the fool.

The voice was that of a man I hadn't been properly introduced to. The idea that my father could go back on his word was another stab against any decency I thought he could have had. But no real surprise. I glanced up at Griffin as he took my hands in his nervously. "Looks like that's our cue."

"By my calculation, you've got a minute for goodbyes." Immanuel looked between us and turned his back. The only form of privacy he was authorised to give us.

"It was good seeing you again." I shivered, glancing down the halls. I hadn't seen the fight outside lab two, but it had been almost as brutal as that of the sub-basement level. The bodies all cleared away, but their stains remained. Some as little red patches yet to be bleached away, others by their putrid scent.

"We'll see each other again." He assured me, cupping one of my cheeks in his hand. He bent down slowly and let me taste his lips. The electrical pulse that came with it shot through my body, heart racing, mind fizzing pleasantly. When he moved away again, I was left dazed for a moment. Wishing I could get to know him more, instead of being left with fleeting moments. "Just paying you back." He smirked. "Take care of yourself." He started to slip away down the hall, waving a hand at Rin who was leant up behind the lab doors. "Meet you there."

I help my fingers up to my tingling lips and watched him walk out of sight. Round a corner and to the sub-basement level. My heart was thudding so fast in my chest, it had no time to sink. Not yet.

Jake came out of lab two, a heavy expression mottling an awkward smile. "Griffin already gone?" His eyebrows furrowed, glancing in the direction his sandal wood had gone in.

"We're sneaking out the other way, Andersen's being Andersen." Rin replied on a light breath.

Jake nodded, realisation registering on his face. He wasn't quite sure what to do with himself around her. His interest was obvious, her indifference as prevalent.

"You had better keep an eye on that girl, I don't want any more casualties amongst my team members." Rin warned him, hands on her hips. An eyebrow raised, the corner of her mouth pulling up.

Perhaps not as indifferent as I'd thought.

"Of course," Jake saluted. "You'd better watch him, he's not thinking as clearly as he used to." He pointed a thumb over his shoulder, his cheeks a little reddened. I wondered if I was this goofy around Griffin?

"As always," She bowed, and moved away with nothing more than a, "Until our paths cross again, Captain Aylesbury." Her body blurred down the hall and round the corner.

Immanuel turned then and had the same thought as I had, each putting a hand on Jake's shoulder. "Seems like a whole lot of new and scary is coming..." Young Garner sighed, then glancing at me, smiling broadly in his sunshine way and moving off. A finger to his earpiece. "Cole, they're as good as gone. Tell Andersen I lost them before you come down here." He'd left us, too.

Jake was staring off at the corner, lips folding down. "This leaves one question burning in my mind." He muttered.  

"What's that Aylesbury Sir?"

"What happened to Amy Norton's body."