Chapter Fifteen [Part 3/5]: The Turn

-Jake Aylesbury -

Loud shots fired down the halls in the direction Unit Three had left in. Other noises started to sound, cells unlocking, including Unit Four's. Doors of some of them swinging open and letting out their contents. Most of them only housed one prisoner, but they were Nocturnal or Scavenger. A large group of them started to head towards the sub-basement level.

Unit Four were coming straight for us. We had the advantage of weapons, Mina Harrison watched me take a swing towards her and tumbled into a roll I had to jump over. Aiming to take out my feet and then get my weapon. She flopped into Hudson, who lifted her up by the shirt and punched her hard enough to make her nose gush red and her eyes to shut. He threw her aside, clumping against a wall.

Tanner went to grab my hands, to push my weapon up away from me, and kick my stomach. I pushed back on my heels, dodging the hit and unhooking my hands to swing for his side. When I hit an explosion of red splattered against the wall and he fell away from it. Unable to move. He stared up at me, hate and fear in his eyes, and pitiful pain.

"It's just orders, Aylesbury, nothing personal." He hacked up blood as he spoke.

I winced taking his head off, to make it quick.

Jennings just aimed and fired at anyone else coming out of that door, the fear that comes with opening fire on someone you worked with and know what they're capable of, that you laughed with them in the lunch hall. It's very different. So is the heavy guilt that comes with it. Once all the bodies had hit the floor I had to put my hand on his shoulder to stop him. He was panting, tears streaming down his face and shock at himself.

Ashington and her remaining comrade, the Nocturnal, came running round the corner, half backwards to fire behind them. "I got the message sir, but the other half of our Unit is outside Lab Two for Martello's protection, we can't get back to them with the other half of Unit Four tearing through us." She yelled, I think at Cole who was in her ear again. "Fine, Sub-basement level, now..." She signalled for the Nocturnal to go on ahead of her, coming towards us. After firing a few more times she ran up too.

"Daniels is this way, if you want to make yourself useful, follow." She snapped flippantly and we did as she said, Hudson taking Jennings gun and giving us cover fire as other agents headed our way. I could hear, without turning round, three more bodies clumping to the ground, a space between each hit.

"Swan is apparently taking him on, King broke in, god knows how, and he's helping. Miss Andersen happens to be with them, and all of those loyal to Daniels are turning. So guess where most of them are heading?" She informed me, face red and skin sweaty, then added, "Trinity just turned into a war site."

"Could have fooled me." Jennings muttered sarcastically, grasping the sword he'd exchanged his gun for, tightly.

When turned prisoners became visible up ahead, Jennings and I both charged forward with the Unit Three Nocturnal and did our best to cut through them. Hudson and Ashington careful not to catch us in friendly fire as they added their assistance.