Chapter Six: My Gummy Children

The sun was shining through my curtains waking me up from my sleep. Ugh. Saturday. Usually I'd be over the moon that it was the weekend, but not today. Today, I had to go get a stupid job.

Ryan came into my room. "Rise and shine fatass!" I never understood how this guy was a morning person. We may be twins but boy are we different.

"Just five more minutes." I yawn and place my head back on the pillow.

Suddenly I feel my leg being dragged out of bed. I sit up quickly. "I'm up I'm up!"

"Good. Now go get changed. It's 'Get Heidi a Job' day!" He says way too excitedly.

I give him a blank expression. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Just a little." He emphasises the 'just'.

I get up flattening out the bird's nest, which I call my hair, with my hands and zombie walk over to the bathroom to take a shower.

Let's hope this day isn't as bad as it seems.

***

Ryan parks up outside the ice cream shop. I look over at him.

"No Dee, I'm not coming in with you." I frown. "Plus, I have basketball practice."

I sigh. "But what if I don't get the job and I need you to come back."

"You will." He ruffles my hair. "Smile you'll be fine!"

"My hair!" I brush it back in place with my hands.

"Text me when you're done."

I give him a thumbs up and get out of the car.

I watch Ryan drive off and turn to look at the place. 'The Waffle Cone'. I reluctantly walk inside and a little bell rings.

I glance around the empty shop and walk over to the counter. "Is anyone here?"

I hear a thud and a girl who looks about my age appears from underneath the counter, rubbing her head. "Ow..." She looks up at me and puts on a big smile. "Welcome to The Waffle Cone! Where all of your ice-cream dreams come true!"

"Do you have to say that every time?"

She lets out a deep breath and drops the fake smile, replacing it with a genuine one. "Could you tell?"

I nod and put out a hand. "Heidi Thompson."

She smiles and shakes it. "Taylor Ross."

Taylor was olive-skinned and her chestnut brown hair just fell over her shoulders. She was really pretty- it almost made me feel insecure.

"Do you mind me asking how old you are?" I've never seen her at school before.

"I'm seventeen. If you're wondering why you probably haven't seen me at your school it's because we just moved here a week ago."

It's like she read my mind.

"I'm seventeen too! Where did you move from?"

"California. It's actually a lot colder here in Colorado then I expected." She said brushing her hands through her hair.

I laugh.

"Oh shoot I totally forgot." She hands me a menu. "What do you want to order?"

I pass the menu back to her. "Actually, I came here for something else."

She looks surprised. "You did?"

I nod. "Yeah I was hoping to get a job here. I heard you're hiring and I-"

She cuts me off. "You're hired!"

Well that was quick. "Do I not need to do an interview or talk to the manager?"

"Considering I'm the managers' daughter I think he'll be fine with it." She smiles.

"Wait you own this place?" I ask clearly taken aback.

"Yep! Ever heard of Ross Hotels?" I nod. "Yeah my dad's Theodore Ross."

"No way! Your dad's hotels are like everywhere." She laughs at my reaction.

"Wait but why does he own an ice cream shop?"

She gives me a small smile. "It's actually in memory of my grandma."

"I'm sorry." I say sympathetically.

She shakes her head. "Don't be. Now, if you're going to work here we need to get you a uniform."

"You're not going to make me wear an ice cream costume, are you?"

"What no. But you're going to have to wear one of these." She points to the cap on her head that says 'The Waffle Cone' and has a little ice cream on it.

Taylor passes me a cap. "Welcome aboard Heidi!"

I smile and place the cap on my head. "So, when are you starting school, I'd love to show you around and introduce you to my friends."

"Monday. If your friends are as nice as you then I'd love to meet them."

"I can't guarantee that my friends won't hit on you though." I say knowing the boys would totally flirt with Taylor.

"That's teenage boys for you."

"Quick question. Since I'm an employee here, do I get free gummy worm privileges?"

"Technically no but since you're now officially my friend." She tosses me keys and points to a door. "Go wild."

"Yes!" I run over to the door and open it.

Holy shit. It's beautiful. I look around at the shelves stacked with all types of candy. My eyes scan the room and then I see them.

My gummy children.

I run over and pick up the precious little box. I think I'm in gummy heaven. I open the lid and stuff my mouth with them. Why are they so good?

I hear indistinctive laughter and decide to go out and see who's there.

I see Taylor laughing with someone. She notices me and waves me over.

I go over to her, my mouth still stuffed with gummy worms. "Heidi meet one of my best friends: Landon."

I look up into the beautiful grey eyes I've been seeing for the past week. "And Landon meet Heidi my new friend!"

He gives me one of his signature smirks. "Hi Gem."

You have got to be kidding me...

________________________________________________________

500 READS AGHH!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH ILY ALL :) Specifically thank you to @Ms_Laaj @Rowynn00 @RafaelJeff who are a few of my most awesome readers!

COMMENT, VOTE AND MESSAGE ME!

~H <3