Chapter 1

The sound of metal on pavement ripped through my ears as I was being tossed around and found myself slumped against the wrecked side of the car. Waking up after a moment pain burst through my arm, my head and my stomach.

I looked down to see blood pouring out of wounds in my side. Some of my cuts were from glass shards but the main pain was from chunks of metal impaled into my side. My breathing quickened from the sight. I calmed my breathing and did my best to not move. I looked in front of me to see if my mom was alright. My so called step dad was farther down on my worry list.

"Mom, Mom." I said tentatively. I got no response. "Mom, please answer me." I was getting scared at the thought of losing my mom. I looked around, moving carefully as not to injure myself any farther. My phone the black and red case was sitting next to me.

"911, What's your emergency?" A voice said.

"I've been in a car crash with my mom and step-dad."

"Are you injured?"

"Yea, I have a bunch of glass in me and I'm impaled from the shrapnel."

"Okay paramedics and ambulance are on their way. Can you stay on the phone with me?"

"Yea, I'm worried about my mom and stepdad."

"Are they awake?" She asked

"No. My stepdad has a lot of blood coming out of his head and I can't really see my mom." I told her.

"Okay police and ambulance are about a minute away. Tell me about yourself." She said.

"Um- my name is Peyton. I'm 12 and I go to East Towne Middle School."

"Okay, Do you do any Sports? Hobbies? Musical Instruments?"

"I'm in Karate, MMA, Kickboxing. I was in Gymnastics for a while but I quit. I play bassoon in the Band. I like drawing and painting." I said.

"Okay What's your favorite sports team?"

"I like Ohio State and don't have a favorite NFL or basketball team."

"What are you playing in band class?"

"Um," I wince in pain before continuing. "Let it go, God help the Outcasts, Aventura, El Capitan, Phantom of the Opera, Valley Forge, Lullaby to the Moon, that's all I can think of right now. My vision started to blur as the blood loss was taking it's toll.

"What's your favorite song out of those ones?"

"Aventura is really cool and fun to play but in Lullaby to the moon I get to have a solo."

"Cool. Are the police and Ambulance there yet?" She asked possibly running out of questions to ask me.

"Yea they just pulled up. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"What's your name?"

"Samantha."

"Thank you." I say to her before I hung up. I didn't even look for another car around me. An EMT came up to the car and peered inside.

"Ma'am are you okay?" I shook my head no. "Where are you injured?"

"My head hurts, my arm, I got glass shards and currently impaled by the car." I say.

"Andrew we got three here 2 unconscious and one is severely bleeding." The guy says he opens the door front door once another EMT shows up with a bunch of boxes and a few backboards. One feels for a pulse on my mom and look down. He carefully pulls her body out of the car as best as he could. Together the two rush my mom over to the side and rush back over. Another set of paramedics got to Jeremy's door and helped him out. They fussed over him before leaving him to come help Andrew and the other guy get me out of the car. They folded down the seats and one of the EMTs crawled in the back to look at me. He flashed the light in my eyes.

They started to yell some things that I didn't catch the adrenaline in my body finally wearing off. Before I knew it I was laying on a back board strapped in as best as possible with a chunk of the car sawed out. An oxygen mask was placed on my face, sirens wailed and lights flashed.

I eventually awoke to a brightly lit room. I moved my head out of the light raised my arm to be hit in the face with black plaster.

"Peyton, you're awake." A voice said my eyes adjusting and focused on my best friend Ally who stood next to my bed.

"What happened?" I asked blinking slightly. "Why are you here?" 

"You were in a car crash. You're at the hospital. They called us because we were the ICE for both you and your mom " She said. Her mom smiled at me before running out of the room to most likely get a doctor or a nurse.

"My mom, Jeremy?" I say

"Oh, Peyton I'm sorry they died in the crash." That hit me like a ton of bricks. The door opened to reveal a doctor walking over to us.

"Peyton, how are you feeling?"

"Um- my side hurts and my head." I say.

"Okay. We figure that you have a concussion so that should hurt and your side as well. You were in surgery for 2 and a half hours." He says.

"So overall?" I said.

"You have a broken arm snapping both bones, 28 stitches in your side to cover your major wound to where you were impaled by the car, 18 other stitches in various places from the glass shards, a concussion and that is about it."

"When can I go home?" I ask.

"Well we would like to keep you here for at least 3 days at minimum to watch for signs of infection in your stitches and allow some of your wounds to heal a bit more. This will also give social services time to find a guardian for you to permanently live with." He talked with me all while checking my IV and my stats.

"She can stay with us for a while at least until she gets a little bit better." Natalie offered.

"Okay but we need to find her father. As I understand you have never met him?" I nodded slowly not wanting to talk anymore. "They can look at records and see if your mother wrote it down on your birth certificate." He said. "If you need anything just press this button and it will call the nurse. The hospital social worker will be here in a little bit to talk with you." 

I nod and he walks out to see other patients.

"Peyton, I'm glad you're okay." Ally says to me. I carefully shift over until there is enough space next to me. I pat the bed gently with my uninjured arm and she carefully gets on and wraps her arm around me. I move my face so it's buried in her poofy hair and fall asleep breathing in the sent of her vanilla scented perfume.