Chapter 4

Oliver lead me down stairs and to the dining room. Thea was sitting on one side of the table and I sat next to her. Oliver sat across the table from us. Food was set out in front of us with three table settings. I grabbed some sandwich makings and made a turkey mayo and lettuce sandwich.
"So, Peyton tell us about yourself." I took another bite as Thea asks me looking at her brother.
"I'm 12, went to East Towne Middle School. I am in Karate, MMA, and kickboxing world champion in MMA and kickboxing. Formerly in gymnastics but I still go to keep my skills. I am the former archery captain at my school, I played bassoon in the school band and I like art." I say taking another bite.
"What happened to your arm?" Oliver asked. He had a plate of fruit and some chicken with a kind of salad. I looked back at my plate and swallowed my mouth full of food before continuing.
"Um, you know how my mom and Jeremy got into a car accident. I broke my arm in two places got a concussion from whiplash and a whole ton of stitches." I said.
"How many?"
"46. I was impaled by some of the my car and that needed 27 stitches externally and I have no clue how many inside. The other 14 are on large cuts and gashes from glass. My right arm got a lot of attention." I said joking slightly. Thea paled at the 46 stitches and Oliver looked surprised on how calm I was about it. "So what about either of you? I don't really know much about you." I say trying to wave off the awkwardness.
"I'm 18, I like hanging out with my friends and shopping."
"And clubbing and drinking." Oliver adds in and the two glare at each other.
"Cool. I don't drink. I have desire to drink or do drugs, so don't worried about me." I say taking the last chunk of my sandwich and shoving it into my mouth.
"I'm I just got off of a deserted island after my family's yacht was destroyed in a storm. I was on the island for five years." Oliver says.
"Yea my friends told me about that when it happened." I said. Grabbing an apple with my right hand and pulling it towards my left hand. I grabbed it and bit into it.
After a lunch I went back to my room and pulled the photos out and pinned them up on the cork board next to my desk. I then went and sat in the window seat and looked out the window into the backyard.
I didn't know where I wanted to hand my pictures that I did so I stacked them up and placed them on the desk to deal with them later.
It was about an hour after lunch when a knock came at my door.
"Yea, it open." I said still looking out.
"Hey." Oliver says walking into the room. "Do you want a tour of the property?"
"Sure," I say slowly getting up. I straighten my clothes and walk out of the room after grabbing my phone off the foot of the bed. Oliver followed me out of the room and lead me down to the back door. He lead me around the grounds showing me the trails the he had made.
We were walking for a while before we came to a cove of trees with a small bench in the middle of the area.
"I found this place when I was about eight and would run here whenever I got mad or just need some space." He said sitting down on one side of the bench. "Since I got back, I've been here more often. I find it a little more calming than the house or the city."
"I kinda understand what you mean by wanting to be alone." I say sitting next to him and turning to him. I feel a flash of pain but ignore it.
"I guess that I can be more of myself with you since you don't know the old me." Oliver says looking off into a tree behind me.
"What do you mean?"
"Everyone expects me to come back and be the same person, parties, drinking, girls, you know the typical partying rich boy."
"But since you've come back you have two different personalities. One for your friends and everyone else being who they remember and who they want you to be, and then your changed self." He nods and we sit like that for the next several hours. Silence envelops us. It's not an awkward silence but a calming, comforting silence.
Before we know it the sun is going down and the mosquitoes are coming out. He stands up and offers his hand to me and we walk back together. We go back a different way showing me more of the grounds. When we get back Moira is standing on the porch with a glass of wine and watching us.
We make our way up to her talking about little things.
"Mom, could we find a gym for Peyton to join?" Moira looked so confused.
"I do Karate, MMA and kickboxing all at top levels and completion levels."
"Oh, of course but we should let her get better first." She said gesturing to my arm.
"Yea, broken arm, concussion and stitches I don't think that they would even let me try out." I say smiling. Moira's face changed. I had forgotten that she didn't know about all of my injuries. "Car crash after effects. Concussion, broken arm and a total of 46 stitches." I say she looked extremely surprised.
"Okay, Oliver, Tommy was here earlier according to your sister. I would give him a call." Moira says aimed at her son. Turning to me she lead me inside. Instantly when Oliver left my side I felt unprotected. My radar that I often used fighting when up. "Are you hungry? It's about 9 right now." She said.
"No, I'm just tired right now to be honest." I say. She nods and leads me back up the stairs to my room.
"If you need anything dear I'm just across the hall with Thea and Oliver is in the room next to you." I smile and open my door and go inside. I sit on the bed and read my book for a few minutes before standing up and grabbing some pajama pants and a large shirt and go to the bathroom. There was a knock on my door and I moved to open it after quickly changing.
"Peyton, do you need to clean your stitchings?"
"Um..." I was suddenly self conscious and a little awkward. "Okay?"
"I'm new to this so, just let me know about anything okay?" He says looking at me carefully. I nod and sit before carefully pull up the edge of my shirt showing my bandages. Oliver gingerly takes off the bandage covering my cuts. He gets up and grabs a washcloth from my bathroom and wiping around my stitches and then putting fresh bandages on, covering them.