Happy Mistakes

Harry and Draco made their way downstairs a few hours later and sat at the breakfast table without a word. Molly had waited for them to come down before serving the food, and Ron was getting hungry, "What took you so long?" he complained as his mother finally allowed them to eat.

"Sorry." Harry apologized, gripping Draco's hand under the table. Him and Draco shared a secret smile and started to fill their plates with whatever they could grab. They'd been preoccupied by talking (and a little kissing). They'd discussed how they were to go about this new relationship. They had agreed that before telling everyone, they'd start with just their closest friends, and eventually move on to being public. But before they told anyone, they wanted to know if whatever they were could work at all. 

While they continued to eat, neither of them saw Ginny glance down from her seat beside Harry, and spy their intertwined hands under the table. She found herself staring for much longer than needed and snapped her attention back to the conversation going on at the table. Molly was asking Draco if he had all his things ready for school.

"Yes, Molly." Draco replied, "Severus picked up all my stuff for me, and is picking me up tomorrow morning. You don't need to worry."

"So," Fred asked tentatively, "Are we ever going to find out why you came to live with us?"

The kitchen went silent. Molly looked at Draco with concern, while Harry and Draco shared a knowing look. Draco wiped his mouth and looked around at the expectant faces around the table and Harry gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. 

He took a deep breath before rolling up his shirt sleeve, revealing the still healing scars, "I tried to off myself, and it almost worked." There were a few stifled gasps of shock followed by looks full of pity.

"I had no idea." George mumbled, "We were so awful to you." 

Ginny stared at the scars, but couldn't keep herself from stealing glances at the boys connected hands under the table. She couldn't help but feel pained by Harry not telling her, and leading her on. She knew that everyone expected her and Harry to end up together, and for a while, she'd expected it too. She'd imagined a perfect life for them, after the war was over, just them and their careers for a few years, then maybe a kid, or two. But that was a fantasy, and now, one that she suspected would never happen.

Her depressing burial of her future plans were interrupted by her mother telling her brothers off, "Now, if he doesn't want to talk about it, you don't get to force him!"  

"No," Draco refuted, "It's alright. If they want to ask questions, they can." 

The room went silent, and Draco looked around trying to catch someone's eye, but the read heads just looked away. "Come on, I know you have questions, and I really don't mind."

Ginny had questions, but they weren't about the scars.

Ron cleared his throat,  "I have a question actually," Molly looked at her son completely stunned, "When did you start feeling this way? Like, did we have anything to do with it, I mean I'm sure we didn't help, but were we the cause?" 

Draco looked at Ron and considered his question for a moment, "I don't think so." he replied, suddenly gripping Harry's hand tighter, "I mean, all the fighting we've done over the years has been extremely tame compared to what I grew up with, so I don't think it ever really effected me in that way."

"While we're on the subject," Fred said, "What did you grow up with?"

The Weasley's looked at Draco, patiently waiting for him to gather his thoughts, "Well, my father was never the nurturing sort of parent. From a young age, he enforced the use of the Dark Arts and spouted pro-Dark Lord propaganda as a bedtime story. I wasn't excepted in to the Malfoy lifestyle, probably because I take after my mother, who is much kinder, and isn't a true Death Eater. My father wanted me to be a true Malfoy, but I have a bit too much Black in me to be for his taste, so he usually turned to..." His voice got caught in his throat as he recalled the years of torture. 

"It's all right," Molly reassured, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"No," he replied, "I want to, I want to share this part of my life with someone."

"Seems like you have." Ginny mumbled as she angrily stabbed at her plate.

Harry kicked her under the table, and shot her a glare, "Don't." he whispered.

Ginny glared back, "I think we need to talk, Harry." she said, gesturing to Harry and Draco's intertwined fingers.

Harry's eyes widened as he realized that they were no longer being discreet. The twins and Ron had now tuned into their conversation, however, Draco and Molly were still deep in conversation. "Look, it's none of your business, so why don't you guys just drop it?!"

Draco turned around to face Harry, and finally noticed the discussion happening around them, and he paled more than usual. "Oh."

Harry snickered, "Oh? That's all you got?" 

"I'm confused, what are all of you talking about?" Molly asked as her eyes traveled between all the teens.

Harry and Draco exchanged an understanding look, and Harry pulled their hands up onto the table for everyone's viewing pleasure. Ron stared at their hands in shock while Fred smugly received several galleons from his twin.

"What the hell was that?" Draco asked, glaring at Fred and George. 

"Oh, " George started, "I bet Fred that you guys would be together before school, he said you'd start between Halloween and Christmas."

"Wow," Harry said, "Thanks for betting on my love life, guys."

"No problem, Mate." Fred replied.

"Okay, "Ginny said, "So, I'm really happy that you've figured all this out, but it still would have been nice to know before the whole wizarding world thought we were an item."

Harry and Draco looked down in shame, "Sorry, Gin, but it wasn't exactly planned."  

Ginny's face softened, "I know, it just... I thought we knew each other better than that." she got up and left the table. A few minutes later, they heard a bedroom door slam.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, "I feel awful." Harry broke the silence.

"Why?" Draco asked rubbing Harry's back softly, "It's not like you planned for this to happen... I sure didn't." 

Harry cracked a small smile and raised his glass, "Well, here's to happy mistakes."