Roads Untraveled

The Weasleys and Harry stood on Platform 9 3/4 waiting for Hermione to join them. "What are we going to tell her?" Harry asked, anxiously awaiting her arrival.

"I don't know, Mate," Ron responded, clapping Harry on the back, "But I suggest you do it sooner than later."

Harry nodded as the final boarding call rung out across the platform, "I guess she's already seated." 

They boarded the train and began searching the compartments for Hermione. After what seemed like half the train ride, they found her sitting alone in a compartment towards the middle of the train, "There you are!" Ron exclaimed falling into the seat beside her.  

"I've been her all this time." She said, putting down the book she was reading, "What took so long?"

"We had a late start this morning." Harry replied, sitting down across from his friends.

"I don't see how that makes this morning any different from any other." She remarked sarcastically.

The trio sat in silence for a few minutes as the train began to build speed as it pulled out of London. Harry stared out the window as the scenery outside began to change from city to country. Soon, they were well on their way to school, and Harry knew he couldn't wait much longer, "Hey, Hermione," Harry took a deep breath and exchanged a look with Ron, "Ron and I need to tell you something."

Hermione looked between her friends with concern, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, but something is definitely... different." Ron said cautiously.

"This summer, someone had to come stay at the Burrow, and it's someone that you aren't exactly... on the best terms with." Harry began, looking to Ron for help.

"Yeah," Ron continued, "Um... So, this someone, had an issue and needed a place to stay, so when my mom allowed this person to stay with us, we weren't exactly the most thrilled."

"Yeah, but eventually, we got used to the idea, and became friends." Harry finished.

"Ok, so this person," Hermione began slowly, "Is someone who wasn't a friend, is now a friend and you want to... what? Make sure I'm okay with it, or do you want me to get along with this person too?"

"Well," Harry scratched the back of of his head, "It would be nice if you got along with him, because, Draco and I are sort of together."

Hermione's jaw dropped, "You and...Malfoy?" She fell back in her seat, "I can't believe this... Malfoy's gay?"

"Well, technically no, he doesn't exactly know if it's bisexuality, pan sexuality, or whatever, and it doesn't really matter." Harry massaged his scar and brushed his unruly hair out of his face, "Look, I'm not asking for your approval, or for you to be okay with it. I know how he's treated you in the past, and he's very sorry, and has agreed to attempt a friendship with you, if you're willing, but if you're not, I'm asking you as a friend, be nice."

Hermione looked from Harry to Ron with her arms crossed, "And you're going along with this?"

Ron met Hermione's stare, "He's actually a nice guy, you just have to give him a chance."

Hermione sighed and let her arms fall t o her side, "This isn't going away, is it?" The boys shook their heads, "Then I guess I'll just have to get on board." 

Harry and Ron both thanked Hermione for trying, "I know that once you get to know him, you'll really like him." Harry assured her.

She laughed, "I highly doubt it, but I guess we'll find out when we get there."