2

Vision

The first time I saw love, it looked me straight in the eye

His eyes were as big and bright as the stars. I wasn't sure if it was his lashes but I know something tickled my heart back then. I stared deep into his dark irises and saw our future together. I saw flashes of our happy ending. Our eyes gazed at the horizon of bliss and satisfaction.

I was the first to blink.

And so our love became chapters after chapters of kisses and embrace. Every time I open my eyes, he was there. Every time I rub the sleep out of my eyes, he was there. He was always there.

He was the first to look away.

Something caught his eye, a foreign object of some sort. It eventually grew into something I could not comprehend. Something I'm far from understanding. Something became someone and someone became something. I couldn't place myself between the two. I am afraid to know the truth.

I was the first to shed tears.

The first drop was acceptable, the second a traitor. The third drop gave way to the fourth then to the hundredth then to the millionth. He wasn't able to see my crying because he was thoughtlessly swimming in the ocean I created. Only then did I understand that love created oceans inside our hearts just to dry them up through our eyes.

He was the first to close eyes.

It was over. All the glimpses and the flashes and the lights. It only took a fraction of a second to end a lifetime of love. He was all my life and he had all my time. He was sleeping and I know he's dreaming about that something that became someone. I tried to wake him up but he was too deep in his trance to hear my voice already dried up from calling him over and over again. I lost. We were over. I was over.

He lost sight of me.

As I dreadfully predicted. I have become part of his blind side. His gray areas. The invisible dust floating in his eyes that he keeps on rubbing away. I am but a cataract, foggy and unwanted.

Even though I am always standing in front of him,

He never saw me again.