21. Lessons

^Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez

Garrets mother made the best meatloaf in the world! Within 10 minutes, I had scarfed down 2 servings of meatloaf and managed to cover to eat my side of buttered corn. About 5 minutes went past before everyone was on their way out the door. It was 7 and I had sent Trish a text asking if I could stop by but she just replied with a No, which worried me.

Trish had dealt with depression before and I didn't want her to go back down that road. Like the great friend I was, I made Brett drive me over to her house and make sure there was another car there. It made me feel better someone was with her and I started to question who it could be.

"You done stalking your friend?" Brett said impatiently. My head was practically out the window so I slowly settled back into my seat before saying, "I guess."

We were on our way back when Brett's hand grazed my thigh. It was comforting but then I remembered what had happened back at Garrets. Sure Brett had a part on making me sing, but he also had kissed me randomly. I knew there was no lesson attached to what he had done. Did Garett's mother see what happened? I blushed at the thought and then scolded myself.

That would be so weird!

When Melanie Martinez came on, I raised an eyebrow at Brett as his eyes widened. "Melanie Martinez Brett! Really?" I laughed as I saw him blush. "Anything to say?" I laughed as he tried to turn it down. "No! No! Keep it on!"

"Your making fun of me!" He huffed.

"What happened to the metalhead Brett I knew since what? Age 11 I think is when you showed me metal and called pop trash?!" I teased.

"Melanie is an exception to the trash." Overly defensive Brett said and I just laughed as he turned it up.

"Places, places! Put on your doll faces!" I was surprised when he started singing and I laughed as he tried to hit the high notes. Eventually, I joined in singing "D-O-L-L-H-O-U-S-E I see things that nobody else sees." As I drummed on his arm with every letter.

"I told you it's good!" Brett said sending me an accusing look.

"I never said I didn't like her! I've just always been more of a Halsey and Gaga girl and you've been a slayer and bring me the horizon guy."

"So, I converted you to the metal but theirs no way that you converted me into a pop person?"

"No! This is new! I've searched your phone a million times for pop!" I protested knowing that Id won.

"Searched my phone? Do  I need to change my password, Angel?" He said sending me a knowing glare.

"I'd just change it back later!" I warned. I had set his password to my birthday after he forgot it one year.

"Besides, if you changed yours, I would have to change mine." His birthday was my phone passcode.

"Well, then it must stay." He joked.

My phone rang in my lap just as I was opening my mouth to say 'of course it must'. I grabbed it after looking at the caller ID and telling him it was Amy. "Hey! What's up?" I asked.

"Hey! Nothing much. Just was wondering how you were feeling and if you wanted to hang out later with me and Trish?"

"I'm fine. I was just really tired earlier. Couldn't get out of bed." I said recalling how I had told her earlier that I hadn't felt well but even more confused the Trish was trying to hang with Amy... "But yeah! I'd love to come to hang out with you guys as long as it's not a party."

"Party?" Brett said clearly enthused. "Tell her I'd love to come!"

"Pay attention to the road!" I snapped at him.