Chapter 14 - Welcome to Rivendell

~~Elena~~

Gandalf nodded slowly. "Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea." 

Thorin scowled. "This was your plan all along, to take refuge with our enemy!" he accused. 

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-­will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself," Gandalf rebuked him. 

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us," the dwarven leader retorted, glaring at him. 

"Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me," Gandalf said firmly, continuing on down the path.

Elena snickered quietly. "This is going to be interesting to watch," she whispered to Celia. 

Her sister nodded, stifling a laugh. "Oh, El, look! The waterfalls are so beautiful!" She exclaimed, pointing at the streams of water flowing through and underneath the city. 

Elena looked around at the breathtaking sight, eyes wide at the splendor. "Can you imagine, seeing this place in person? It's so much more beautiful!" 

"It is definitely an amazing sight," Bilbo agreed, catching up to them. 

Elena looked down at him and grinned. "I suppose you would know, considering you've been here before, and all that." 

He shrugged. "Maybe. But it never hurts to look at it again with fresh eyes."

"Oh, this'll be fun," Elena muttered as they came to a long, narrow bridge with no rails that led to the entrance to Rivendell. "It's like a tightrope, only wider. Still kind of freaky, 'cause there's no net below to catch us." Some of the dwarves were looking about unhappily. "Why do you guys look so nervous? I thought dwarven halls had lots of bridges like this," Elena asked Fíli quietly. 

He shrugged. "That was mainly underground, where we'd carved them from the stone ourselves, and knew firsthand how strong they were. This is out in the open, and, more importantly, perhaps, we can see the bottom far below," he gestured. 

Elena peered cautiously over the side to the ground far below. "Ah. Yes, I can see how that would be disconcerting. But the elves made it, and they would hardly make one of their main entrances unsafe."

Fíli didn't look entirely reassured, but said nothing as they left the bridge and approached a flight of stairs. 

A dark-haired elf hurried down the steps and greeted them. "Mithrandir," he said in surprise. 

"Ah, Lindir," Gandalf returned happily. Elena frowned, noticing how the dwarves were muttering amongst themselves distrustfully. 

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen," Lindir said in elvish. (We heard you had crossed into the Valley)

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf said urgently. 

"My Lord Elrond is not here," Lindir informed him. 

"Not here? Where is he?" the wizard asked in confusion. Lindir didn't reply, the elvish horns from earlier instead giving an answer. The Company turned around in confusion, only to be greeted with a large elven war party riding across the bridge at a rapid pace.

"Ifridî bekâr!" Thorin shouted. "Hold ranks!" 

Instantly the Company formed itself into a tight circle, weapons pointed outwards and the girls, Bilbo, Ori, Fíli and Kíli stuck in the center of the group, although the three male dwarves also had their weapons at the ready. They watched tensely as the elves began riding circles around the group, eventually stopping and one of them separating and approaching the group.