Chapter 4

After making a promise to contact him with flight details after ive seen my father, i got on the road to start my little under three hour drive. Ive finally arrived at the Portland location my sister, Paisley, had texted me earlier this morning. Locking up I head into the building, tossing a water bottle in a trash can. Im greeted back an older short lady with black hair and brown eyes who is sitting behind a receptionist desk. "Hello Miss, how may I help you?" "My father is here. George Bennington." "Ahh yes. Your sister called yesterday evening, letting us know to expect your arrival. If you could have a seat, Ill have a nurse come take you to him" she explains. With I nod, i go and sit in the waiting area. This place almost seems strange how its all set up. Outdoors it looks like a doctors office with modern architecture. Inside it continues with he modern theme, but defiantly surprised me how 'homey' they made it feel. "Miss Bennington. Im here to take you to your fathers room" a young nurse spoke. With a nod, i let her lead me to the room. "He just finished with his morning physical therapy, so he may be tired. If there is any questions or anything needed just press the nurse button on his bed" and with a small smile she left. Slowly i peeked into the room to see my father reading a book. Leaning against the doorway, i take in my fathers features. He looks the same as six years ago except the few more gray hairs and wrinkles around his eyes. People always thought I was close to my mom, but nope that was never the case. I was defiantly a daddies girl. We never had to say much to understand one another either. Not to play favorites, but he is defiantly the one i missed most.

"Are you going to just stand there all day, or you actually gonna great your old man" i hear a gruff voice. Snapping me out of my thoughts I look up to my father watching. I give a sheepish smile and walk over to the side of his bed and give him a hug. "Hey dad" i say softly then sit in the chair that was left by his bedside. "Hey Victoria" he says with a smile. After a few moments of silence i finally break the silence. "I have a son." There i said it. It defiantly wasn't the right way to bring it up. I look down and fiddle with my purse handle. "I know" he responds. With shock still showing up my face i look back to him, "How?" "One of the pictures you sent me about 4 years ago. There was a little boy that happened to look a lot like Kalen. Since i knew the reason you left home. I put it together." He didnt seem mad. Why wouldn't he be mad. "Im not mad. Im sad" he breaks my thoughts. "Why does everyone keep saying that" i snap back. I felt back for snapping at him but so much has happened in the past two days, i feel like im going to lose it. "Who?" "Umm...Kalen. I went to talk to Mandie this morning and she knew about James, my son, and he walked in during our conversation" i feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. "Victoria, things happen. People make mistakes. People learn from them. As long as you are trying to right the wrong, dont be embarrassed." "Thanks dad" i say sigh. "Does mom know" i ask. He shakes his head, "No, you know your mother." With a small chuckle, i nod in agreement.

The next few hours we spent catching up and learning more of what happened the past six years. Dad explained the accident. He works at the ferries in the Puget sound. Apparently a boy was throwing a tantrum and ran towards the back while they we lifting the back to leave. Saving the boys life he through the boy back, but it ended up putting him between the closing gates and after having part of his leg smashed he fell into the ocean. Luckily there was fast response since they hadn't left the land. "Your amazing dad! I couldn't imagine how grateful the boys parents are for what you have done!" I say with a tear falling my cheek. Thats when i look down to my dads legs covered with the blankets, thats when i see my dad lost his leg from his knee down. "Oh honey. Why are you crying. Im okay. I should be back home soon" he says taking my hand in his. "Oh im so happy to hear that but thats not why im crying. My father gives me a confused look. Pulling out my wallet, i pull out a photo and hand it to him. Thats when i see tears falling down my fathers face. We both take a minute to compose our selves then he asks, "What happened?" "He got an infection when he was young and they had to amputate in order to save his leg. Getting his leg amputated was the only choice we had to keep the infection from spreading" I explain. "So is there any chance im getting to meet my grandson" he asks, hope clear on his face. "Actually yes. Tonight, Im going to head home and fly back to Italy. My friends are going to meet me with James and then we will fly back here right away." A smile breaks his face, "James? What was the reasoning in his name?" I had a feeling her already knew the answer but i told him anyway about naming him after Kalen.

"Dad, my flight is at 8:30pm. I got to go if im going to make it" i tell him as i clean up our dinner plates. "Ahh yes. Bring my grandson to visit me" he says sternly but soon after a smirk is displayed on his face. "Of course. Ill probably stay in Portland for a few days, so we can spend time with you." I give him a kiss on the cheek and a hug. "Ill be back soon dad. It was great to see you again. Love you!" "Love you too" he says with a wave as i head out the door.

Once i got to my car, my phone started ringing. Putting it on speaker, i start heading back to Seattle. "Hello?" "You promised" came a soft voice on the other line. Oh shit. I was suppose to text him my flights. "Oh my god Kalen. Im so sorry. I was visiting with my dad all afternoon. Im heading back now. My flight is at 8:30. The flight is thirteen hours each way. We wont be back til late day after tomorrow." I really hope i didnt piss him off. "Just text me with what time you will arrive back in Seattle" he says then the line goes dead. Ughh that is defiantly not a good sign. I turn up my radio trying to get my mind off the craziness of life and focus on getting back to Seattle.

After three hours, i make it back to the house. "Paisley? Paisley!" I yell as i run in. "Yes?" I see her emerge from the kitchen. "I need a lift to the airport please. Otherwise the car will be there for the next 48 hours" i explain as i run up the stairs. I pulled my hair up into a pony tail and then changed into my favorite pair of blue jeans and sweater over my tank top. Once back down stairs, Paisley hands me the keys. "Just leave it there. It will be easier for you since i dont know exactly when your getting back." "Thanks Paisley. And here" i toss the mini album of photos of James. "When i come back ill be bringing your nephew so absorb that info now" i smirk. "Nephew! Oh my god! Im an Auntie!" she says as she flips through the booklet. "You brat kept this from me!" "I love you sis, but im need to run! Ill explain when i get home!" I run outside and head to the airport.

________________________

Above picture is of George Bennington. Father of Victoria and Paisley.