Chapter 20

Yay! Im very excited that this book has reached 89 views! Please vote, comment, and share! Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Once i made it home, I went straight to my room, closing the door behind me, and started stripping. Ruffling through my drawers I pull out jeans and a basic blue tank top. On my way out the door I toss my earrings onto the dresser. 

"James" I yelled out as I entered the kitchen. Its now 10:20 am. "Kalen?" Still no response. I peek out the kitchen window and notice James and Kalen kicking around the soccer ball. I walk to the sliding back door and open it. I walk out, closing it behind me, and lean on one of the porch beams. 

After a few minutes Kalen notices me and walks over after kicking the back to James. "Hey, how did you meeting go" he asks. "It went good. I have one large project to be done in six months and another I only have one week" I sigh as I glance at James. "Wow sounds like you will be busy" he chuckles. "Yeah, we both will be. With you starting work in two days and me working on projects." He nods in response. "Which hospital will you be working at" I ask. "The childrens hospital" he answers. My eyes go wide, "really?" "Yeah, why?" I stand up straight and we walk to the porch chairs and sit. "One James and I know a lot of people there because the time he spent there. Two, both my projects are for the children's hospital. Of course I'm getting paid for one while the other is for an auction fundraiser" I explain. Kalen sits in the chair next to me, "The fundraiser thats this weekend?" I nod, "Im assuming you were invited." He nods again, "Yup."

"Wanna go together" I ask. "Of course" he leans forward and kisses my check. "Hey mom!" I look up to see James running over to me. "Yes?" "Can we go see Nico and Maria?" I lean back in the chair, "Maybe tomorrow? Your father and I going to busy this week so you might be staying at the vineyard during the day and maybe for some nights" I tell him. "Really" he said excited. Not surprising because he was so close to them. They were like another set of grandparents. "Yup" I answer him.

"Your father and I have to figure out our schedules and then will let you know what exactly will be happening okay"I tell him. He nods and runs back to play more soccer. "Did you check the rash" I ask Kalen. He nods, "yeah the cream helped. We put on his soccer prothestic and it didnt seem to be causing any discomfort or making it worse. We checked after a couple minutes playing to make sure." I nod, "Okay. Whats your schedule look like for the next few weeks?"

"Ill be at the hospital from 7 am to 6 pm this week. Next week should be 8 am to 6pm at latest but I may be on call on certain days. I was hoping that I'd be able to meet with you at lunch times and maybe James." I sigh, "I can probably meet you for lunches on some of the days, but if I'm busy James will be at the vineyard." He puts his hands up in surrender, "I totally understand." 

"I have to call Maria, but just to let you know I may be working long hours this week for the action piece for the fundraiser this weekend" I tell him. "Okay, I'll be out here with James. Get some time with him before I start work" he says then kisses me cheek and jogs back to where James is in the grass. 

I walk into the house and call Maria once im seated comfortably on the couch.

"Hello?"

"Maria? Its me, Victoria"

"Ahh Victoria. How are you my dear"

"I am good. How are you and Nico"

"Good dear, good."

"Can you-"

"Yes dear we will watch James. We miss having you and him around" she chuckles.

"We miss you guys too. I was actually thinking of getting a place closer to you guys. Ill keep the townhouse since its closer to the gallery right now, but with these new jobs I just got I can afford actual property" I smile in excitement just talking about it. I've always wanted land that had a country style home with live stock on the land.

"That sounds amazing dear. We would love to have you guys closer. Though you are only thirty minutes away" she chuckles.

"Sorry to change subjects but do you think James can stay with you until Monday? I'll visit at least once a day, but I just need to get a project done by Friday" I explain.

"Of course dear. You guys are welcome any time and if you want to stay out here at any time that's okay too."

"Okay. Love you mama" 

"Love you me baby"

We hang up. 

"Buying a house?" I screech in surprise. "Jesus Kalen!" I place my hand on my chest trying to calm myself down. He walks over and sits next to me. "When are you going to start talking to me" he asks. I stay quiet still trying to take in that he was listening. He places his hands on mine, "Isnt this something we should've talked about? We are in a relationship? We are living together!"

After taking a minute of organizing my thoughts I give Kalen a small smile, "I'm sorry. Yes I should've talked to you first but this was something I was already considering before I telling someone, but maria isn't just someone. She is like a mom to me, she already knew that I've been wanting to get a place out of the city, but I just realized with these projects bringing in a large income, I can make it happen sooner then I thought." I take a deep breath and continue, "Yes, you live here and of course we are in relationship. Everything is going so fast and I use to doing things on my own. I know its no excuse, but I will try next time okay?" 

Kalen stands up and starts to pace in front of me then stops. Without looks at me he asks, "are you on the pill?" My eyes go wide, "What!" How did this conversation go from one thing to a total different subject? He takes a step closer to me, "answer the question." I stand up, "no, I have never been on birth control. Hint your son! Why are you asking?" He steps closer with a straight face, "I didnt use a condom." I'm completely confused on where this conversation is going. "Its been bothering me since the morning after we had sex. We didnt use protection! I assumed since you didnt seem concerned you were on birth control" he rushes his words out. Anger. I defiantly am very angry, "how could you be so stupid!" He runs his hands through his hair in frustration, "Its on us both!"

I take a few steps away from him, "we will discuss this later. I have to take James to the vineyard. If you want to come along, be ready in ten minutes." Without looking back at him, I leave him standing in the living room.

Kalen's POV

Its been bothering me since we had that night together, but I assumed she was on the pill since she didnt comment about it. I thought she knew. I watch as she walks away and I sit on the couch with my head in my hands. How could things go down hill so fast. Yeah it was probably stupid of me to bring the birth control subject up in the middle of what already was an arguemnt but i could't stop. These past two weeks have changed my life drastically, I have let it get the best of me. I must be better. I will be. For Tori and for my son.

I walk to the guest room, where i placed my suitcases and start changing into jeans and a nice button up. Hopefully this afternoon will go better then this morning.