Part 4

TAEHYUNG

When we got home, Jeone hurried over to hug Gran and tried to take the bags from me.

I was about to tell her I can manage but she looks like she really wanted and needed to help. I smiled and gave her two bags but she tried to take the other bags, too. Her hands are holding mine now in an attempt to carry all of our groceries.

"Jeone, it's really fine. Thank you for helping me," she didn't immediately let go of my hand but when she did, I felt something missing.

The other plastic bags are in her hands now, too!

"YAAAA!" She just looked back at me and smiled playfully before walking faster. I ran after her but she's fast.

She's already in the kitchen trying to organize the supplies we bought.

I stood beside her and started helping out. "I'll do this since you carried the bags here," I said but she just looked at me with determined eyes and shook her head.

Since I've met her yesterday, I've never heard her speak.

Gran didn't mention this. How could she forget to tell me that Jeone can't speak?

I made her face me and smiled. "Let's do this, we help each other. No one should have to carry all the weight by theirselves, okay?" She has a shocked look on her face but she nodded anyway.

We organized the supplies in silence. Of course in silence because Jeone is a mute. Seriously, Gran! How could she forget to tell me this.

When we were finished, I went up to my room and decided to just watch anime. How do I communicate with Jeone? How would she say it when she suddenly needed something? I want to help her.

It was lunch time when Gran called me downstairs. I set the table and Jeone came out of the kitchen bringing the food.

She looks so cute with that huge mitten in her hands. She caught me staring and smiled shyly.

Gran said grace and we ate in silence. Gran! How could you not tell me about this? I suddenly wondered what else Gran is hiding from me.

I was just about to do the dishes when Jeone shoved me a little and put on the gloves and apron.

"Ya, I want to help, too. You don't really have to always work alone. We're here."

She stopped and looked at me. What does she want to say? She just gave me another pair of gloves and an apron. We worked in silence but it's also comfortable.

I need to figure out how to make Jeone stop carrying the burden all by herself.

___

Hi, guys! Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote and comment.