Part 6

TAEHYUNG

It's past 8 now. I couldn't find the courage to follow Jeone. She obviously doesn't want me near her. I'm used to it, though. No one wants me to be with them. We didn't eat together, too. She's really avoiding me. Probably because I'm too much of a nuisance. Dad had always said so.

"We don't talk anymore
Like we used to do

I just heard you've found the one you've been looking
You've been looking for
I wish I would'vr known thst wasn't me
Coz even--"

"You can talk?"

Jeone almost slipped when she heard me. She's just out from a bath and is still drying her hair.

"Who said I couldn't?" She laughed and closed the refrigerator door. I was too shocked to close it.

"I've been with you for 2 days and I haven't heard you make a single sound."

"Oh, I was...shy," she made a face and shrugged.

"This girl," I grabbed the towel out of her hand and roughly rubbed it against her hair. "I felt so sad because of you."

We both ended up sitting on the floor with our backs against the refrigerator, still laughing.

“I remember you,” she looked at me with that cute smile of hers. “You were so clumsy when we were kids, I had to always be beside you to prevent you from hurting yourself,” she smiled at a memory that she recalled. Probably the day she dubbed herself my protector.

“Do you remember the first time we met?”

She laughed while nodding, “You were too excited to play the monkey bar that you tripped over a small stone. You didn’t cry, though.”

“Yeah, I remember that. I was too excited that I didn’t even feel the small scrape on my elbow before you poked it.”

“’So stupid’; I remembered thinking that when I saw you trip and kept on running as if nothing happened.”

“You said that out loud, too. I fell down the bar because my hands hurt and then you ran to me and said, ‘you’re so stupid, you hurt yourself twice before I even finished planting this umbrella.’ Then you…”

“I said, ‘I’ll protect you from now on because Mom said I should protect those weaker than me.’”

“I was so amazed by you. You really seem like a superhero that time.”

“I wish I really am a superhero,” her face suddenly turned gloomy and her eyes are focused on her hand. “I couldn’t even save them.”

I don’t know what took over me but I just suddenly wrapped my hand around her. “I understand why you think it’s your fault but it’s not your fault. Please stop hating yourself,” she hugged me back and is crying so hard, I was afraid Gran would think I’m hurting her. I just kept on stroking her hair and tapping her back gently while she poured her heart out.

I must protect this girl at all cost.

____

Hey! What do you think? Don't forget to comment and vote. Thank you!