The Truth Is Out

Hayley and Kyler had come back. I didn't know where they had gone for the night. If she was staying with friends or if they had gone back to Kyler's parents' home. They were back home by nine this morning, but Hayley had walked right to her room, slamming the door to inform me of her still temper.
"Don't take it to heart," Kyler spoke from the kitchen. Walking to the couch where I was in the living room, he sat down next to me.
"She's mad at me for something I did to Noah, not even her. If anyone should be mad it should be him," I argued.
"She was just hurt that you had lied to her and she feels that you're the reason why they aren't friends now," he informed me. Of course she feels that way, I am the reason.
I let out a sigh before asking Kyler about Jace.
"What do you mean?" He asked. "Why is he like what?"
"A whore," I answered. "Why does he sleep around? When we first moved in you told me that, 'he had his eyes set on someone in the house' and well by your relationship with Hales, it's not her."
"Well those two phrases kind of contradict each other," he chucked.
"I've been able to see he sleeps around and you told me something that argues that point, which is it?" I asked losing patience with Kyler.
"Jace hasn't always been like that. A whore as you put it," he explained. "He is also a nice guy, he just doesn't have a girlfriend and the girls he hooks up with know he won't commit."
"He didn't tell me that."
"Did you want a commitment?" I shook my head. "Well there you go. He's not the type to lead you on."
This wasn't the answer I was looking for. I didn't need a refresher on what I have witnessed. I wanted to know why he won't commit.
"I'm screwed up," I heard Jace say. I turned my head to see him walk down the stairs. "I got it from here Ky. Thanks for trying to put it nicely."
Kyler smiled at Jace before getting up and walking upstairs. To Hayley, no doubt.
Jace gave me a smirk before sitting on the couch. "So what do you want to know?" He asked me.
"I...I" I began to stutter. "I wasn't asking about you, just trying to switch the topic. If you hadn't noticed. Hayley is upset with me."
"You asked him, why I sleep with different girls all the time," he ignored my excuse to cover up the conversation. "I'm screwed up. My family thinks I'm a fuck up. I messed up things in the past. My last girlfriend, well let's just say she fucked around on me. So why do that again?"
"You sure put a lot of time and effort into a girl who you've already slept with." I was insinuating myself but didn't want to come off as desperate.
"There's something about you," he let out breathlessly. It came it almost as a whisper. "From the first time I heard Hayley talking about you, then I met you and I knew you were different, but you didn't give me a chance. I knew you weren't going to let me in. You're like me."
"What can I say?" I let out a small laugh.
I began to look around the room, not wanting to get into a serious conversation. Everyone knows I'm a screwup, hell Jace just called me a screw up. As I stared blankly at the stairs he took my hand, drawing my attention back to him.
"I'll be honest, Hayley told me about you and that guy. That you cheated on him. Can I ask why? Since we're spilling all our secrets," he laughed lightening the mood in the room.
"I fell in love with him, but he didn't know that. I knew he was falling in love with me, and it was only a matter of time before I messed it up. I was scared and so instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop, I ended it." I tried my hardest to hold back my tears but I couldn't. A few tears ran down my cheek and Jace just squeezed my hand tighter.
"You had to cheat on him though?"
"With his older brother, no one knows that though."
"A kick to the balls would have hurt less," he laughed once again. He didn't leave me though, not even after knowing all that, maybe because he was never close, not even friends with Noah.
"I was messed up, okay?" I said with slight agitation in my voice. I stood up, pulling my hand away from his grip. "It's not my proudest moment. In fact it's the worse thing I've ever done and I know that. I was scared and I didn't want to get hurt."
"Alexis," Jace said calmly as he stood up and began to walk over to me. He treated me as if I were a wild horse that he feared would either run or buck. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry, I tried to joke that it."
My knees buckled and I fell to the floor. My head in my hands and I let out all my tears. This was the first time I've ever let anyone see me like this. I always hold it together, but I've never spoke about Noah and the situation, not with all the details.
"I'm such a horrible person, I know that." I cried more and that's when Jace came over, sitting on the ground next to me. He cautiously gave me a hug and held me. He sat quietly on the ground, not saying anything. I imagine he feared anything he'd say would cause me to cry more. He rocked me back and forth in his arms and gently kissed the top of my head.
"You don't have to tell me anything else," Jace said softly.
That's when I stopped crying and sniffled before looking up at him. Into those blue eyes. "Why do you keep coming back? Why'd you ask me on that date?"
"Because there's something different about you," he told me again. "I wanted you let me in, to give me a chance, but then you went out with that one guy. And I saw you guys kissing last night."
That's when I began to cry uncontrollably, I even messed up things with another screw up. The player who just wanted me to let him in and there I go again, messing everything up. At first this was all supposed to be just a game but I let feelings get in the way of everything.
Feelings for Jace. Feelings for Noah.