Game Changer

A soft knock was placed on my bedroom door that same day. I had cried on the floor in Jace's arms for what felt like forever, but in reality it was probably about half an hour. Then it had dawned on me, I was crying in the middle of the living room in Jace's arms. I wasn't some pathetic girl. I was Alexis Williams. Girl who conquers all and doesn't let anyone break her. Not an ex and definitely not a man whore. It was then when I picked myself up, stopped crying, and walked upstairs to my room.
I hadn't been in here long before the knock. I had a feeling I knew who it was.
Without verbally acknowledging the knock, the person opened the door quietly. There stood Hayley.
"I'm sorry I overreacted. I heard your conversation with Jace," she began to explain. "I..I... wasn't eavesdropping though." She let out a large sigh before taking a breath in to begin again. Although, I cut her off this time.
"It's okay, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry messed everything up," apologizing although, I never lied to her and I didn't do anything to her.
"You know, I tried to talk to Noah last night," she told me. That caught my attempt and I looked up from playing  with my fingers in my lap. "He was frantic though, when told me that I needed to talk to you."
I went down to playing with my fingers. I was now sitting Indian style on my bed. "I kissed him last night and his girlfriend saw," I explained. "I loved him, Hales. He loved me, but I could see how deeply he did and I didn't want to end up hurt."
"So instead you hurt him by cheating on him?" She asked. Her face showed the astonishment she held in my logic.
"It wasn't my best idea," I admitted. "And now he has a girlfriend and I think I have feelings for Jace and my best friend is mad at me." I fought back the tears that were brimming in my eyes.
"Awe, Lex," she cooed. She walked towards the bed to sit and hug me.
"I just don't know what to do, Hales," I cried.
She hugged me tighter. "I think that's an easy solution, Jace likes you. Noah has a girlfriend. Go out with Jace."
She pulled away before saying, "do you want me to be honest?" I wiped the tears from my face and nodded. "Okay, well I don't know what's been up with you lately, but maybe stay away from guys. I know that's coming from me but you don't know what you want and maybe for now it's the best."
I let out one last final sob before nodding. I got myself up and walked to the bathroom to clean myself up.
*****
"I'll admit it," Jace breathed out. "I'm jealous of him, that other guy." He meant Noah. I stood at the top of the stairs overhearing Jace talking to Kyler in the kitchen. "She's so caught up with him but I don't know, Ky. It's her, she's the one. She's different than the rest of the girls. She won't let me, only sometimes, and she isn't throwing herself at me all the time. I want her to give me a chance but then there's this other guy. I drove by them making out in the street the other night. I wasn't sure if it was her at first but I knew that one guy looked familiar. Ky, should I even try with her?"
"Well," I heard Kyler take a big breath as if he didn't know what to do or say. "You're not even sure it was her so what makes you think she's caught up in him?"
"I know she is, we talked yesterday. Well more like she cried and spilled everything and I was speechless. I didn't know what to do in that situation," he spoke back. "I haven't been in something like that since..." I could hear his voice trail off. Since what, Jace? I only shouted in my head. They didn't need to know I was eavesdropping.
"Yeah I know," I could hear in Kyler's voice that he was exhausted from this conversation. The poor boy had so much to deal with lately, since me and Hayley and now Jace's dilemma.
Should I listen to what Hayley said and take a break from the boys or should I do what I want. "Ha," I let slip out. I quickly covered my mouth with my hands and ran back to my room. Well for one, I didn't want the boys to know I was listening, but seriously was that even a question. Should I do what I want or listen to Hayley? Anyone who knows me, understands I am the most stubborn person ever and I'd do what I want. Hayley did make a great point though. Noah has a girlfriend, the only thing that could complicate this situation any more would be Noah being single. He wasn't though. He has a girlfriend which made my answer easy.
*****
I had gotten ready for the day putting on a white summer dress and some strappy sandals before walking downstairs. I wanted to look presentable especially after what Jace had to witness last night. My eyes were still puffy but makeup easily concealed the exhausted look.
As I reached the living room I heard a girl giggling and the tv in the background. I quickly recognized the movie being The Notebook and new that voice did not belong to Hayley. Neither of the boys would willingly put this on, so I cautiously walked to the couch.
"Oh," I startled Jace. "Hi Alexis, this is Jennifer from the other morning." He introduced me again to a girl I had once met in the morning.
"Yeah, I remember," saying half annoyed. "Nice to see you again." I tried to force a smile but I'm sure it appeared to come off as a grimace.
"You know babe," she ignored me and turned back to Jace. She ran her fingers up and down his chest. Her long legs were draped over Jace's lap. "I was thinking, I've seen this movie so many times. Why don't you show me your room. You said you had some more movies up there?" She smiled acting all innocently as if that was her plan. We all knew it was to get him into bed.
Jace looked from her to me then back to her as if torn whether to agree or not. My mouth had dropped open when she asked him up to his room. I wasn't expecting him to wait around for me but I also wasn't expecting him to do what he did next. He kissed her, grabbing her legs to wrap around him and carry her up to his room. Although, in the midst of kissing her, he opened his eyes and stared at me.