Chapter 16

I have recently concluded that I really, really hate jetlag. I can’t stand also switching over timezones that much either. And that Harry snores loudly. The entire way back from California he slept, and when I tried to, he would suddenly start snoring as loud as can be and I wouldn’t be able to sleep. I also concluded that when Danielle’s in a bad mood because of the pregnancy, stay away. After we got back all of the boys left to go see their families for a week, so that just left me, Liam and Danielle at the flat. I was bored out of my bloody mind without Harry with me. 

Not to mention the past couple of days i’ve felt absolutely terrible. I’ve had to use my inhaler a lot the past couple of days, and I actually had to take my medication to make me feel better, but nothing was working. Liam didn’t notice, he’s been so busy at the courthouse trying to finalize papers for me and with Danielle and the new baby coming that he’s hardly had time to breathe himself. Except today, Liam was home for one day and Danielle was out, so it was just the two of us. And he noticed my issues, so therefore I am bed and couch-ridden. 

“How long have you been feeling like this?” Liam asked me, coming back with a cup of tea for me to drink. 

“A couple of days...” I mumbled. 

“Katie! You should have told me or Danielle! With your medical history, you could be going into -”

“I haven’t been in years, i’m probably not going to now.” I said to him, taking a sip of my tea. He sighed and gave up, turning on the TV to watch something as I clicked around on my laptop. I had been texting Harry all morning long until he had to go to be with his mother for a bit, and then I was bored. It sucked being sick, you couldn’t do anything. Well, I could but Liam would freak the hell out. I looked over at Liam to see him throw his phone down next to him, frustrated.

“Get ready, Danielle’s going to be coming home soon, and she’s in a bad mood.” Liam warned me. I took this as a chance to move myself back upstairs and go to take a shower. Once I finished I just changed into a fresh new pair of pajamas and sat on my bed, hearing Liam and Danielle from downstairs. She wanted all of us to go shopping with her, but since he thought I was sick on my death bed, Liam was saying tomorrow we could go. I suddenly felt very sick to my stomach, so I got up and darted for the bathroom and started to throw up everything i’d ate and drank all day long. Before I got up to wash my mouth out, I noticed something in my puke. There was a lot of red in it. 

“LIAM!” I screamed from the bathroom! “HURRY!” I screamed even louder, starting to feel sick again. I heard him come racing up the stairs and into my room.

“Shit!” He cussed. He never swore, almost ever. “I knew it! Danielle, call an ambulance, she’s going into relapse.” Danielle ran out of the room as I continued to throw up and get sick. “Katie, next time you start feeling awful, you need to time me right away. I don’t give a shit what i’m busy with doing, alright? I know the signs of relapse and you had each and every one of them!” I nodded as I started to cry into his shoulder as he picked me up and brought me downstairs. 

“The ambulance is on its way.” Danielle said, sitting next to me.

“Let the lads know, especially Harry. Tell them that i’ll explain if they end up going.” Liam said. “Its going to be alright, Katie.”

***

Two hours and several IVs and blood tests later, I was in the hospital. Liam had been here all day, but Danielle had just left to go get Niall from the airport. All of the other boys were on their way, and I was fearing that Harry was speeding down the highway to get here. I was scared to tell them, because I was afraid they would get mad that we kept something so serious from them. I was more scared then ever now since we got the results back.

“Katie, your heart rate is going up. Calm down.” Liam said to me. 

“What if the boys get mad?” I asked him.

“They won’t. If it will make you feel better, i’ll tell them away from you.” I shook my head. “You have nothing to worry about with them. They’ll probably want to stay with you every night, is all. Harry might freak out, but that’s about it.” he said to me. 

“But Liam, i kept something so big from them!” I cried. Liam sighed as he came over to hug me and kissed my forehead. 

“Relax a bit, okay? I’m scared, your scared. We’re gonna be okay.” he said to me. I heard some footsteps coming down the hallway and saw Karen, Ruth, and Nicola walk into the room. They didn’t say anything at first, they just came over to hug me. Liam explained what was going to happen within the next hour to them, and they said they would stay until then. 

“Louis’ here.” Liam said to me. Just as he said that, Louis walked into the room. 

“I drove so fast, oh my gosh. I’m so lucky there wasn’t any police out on the road. What happened?!” Louis asked. Liam said he would explain when the other boys got here. Niall came next, with Eleanor with him because Danielle picked her up on the way, then Zayn, and finally Harry was the last one to get here. 

“I got stopped by a damn cop, I would have been here faster.” Harry said. 

“Can we know what’s going on now?” Niall asked. Danielle sat next to me on my bed and held my hands with me. 

“Don’t yell at her or us for not telling you earlier, okay?” Liam said to them. They nodded, and he looked at me before he spoke. Danielle was now hugged me completely. 

“This is scaring us, Liam.” Zayn said, worriedly. Niall and Louis nodded, and Harry looked like he was going to cry in about two seconds. 

“Katie’s in relapse, she has acute lymphocytic leukemia.” Liam announced to them. “The blood tests confirmed it before, they thought she was cured from it, but now its back.” he said to them. Eleanor was now holding onto Louis for support, who was leaning against the wall for his own support. Zayn and Niall stood there with tears coming out from their eyes, and Harry was now sitting in the chair next to my bed pulling at his hair. 

“Its curable, boys.” Danielle said to them.

“That’s what they said the first time and look where I am now!” I cried. Danielle tried to shush me quiet and calm me down. 

“Katie honey, you’ve got to keep your heart rate down.” Karen said from the side of Danielle. I nodded and took a deep breath in, and then let it out. Danielle must have let go of my hands, because now I felt two hands wrapped around my right hand, and looked over to see Louis and Niall holding that hand. Zayn came over and wrapped his hand around there too, and Harry was the last person to come around, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. After a couple of minutes Liam made them back away so I could get some rest, and they all refused to leave, but nonetheless, i still fell asleep.

***

this actually wasnt what i was planning to do at all, but i've got a plan, so its okay :)