Chapter 1 - The Kazekage with the Stars

Chapter 1 – The Kazekage with the Stars

[Rin’s POV]

It was midnight. I was staying here in Suna for almost a month now. I was just staying here, which also meant that I had no home to go back to. It really wasn’t a big deal since I lived by myself stealing food in places. I didn’t know why I felt safe here, no one ever spotted me being a Mizuka, and no Akatsuki ever went to this village. No one recognized me because I changed my eye color to plain black. Yes, I could change my eye color, there wasn’t any big deal about it.

I crossed the Kazekage building again, there he was, the Kazekage I meant, he was staring at the sky again. Was he doing that every night? Even though I was this far away, I could sense that he couldn’t sleep. I could feel it in his blood. I did try to sneak into his mind to know what he was feeling but i found it useless…or he wasn’t thinking of anything in particular. I decided to shrug it off because it was private property anyway.

I noticed that the sand was forming around me, wrapping me until I couldn’t feel my hands anymore. Even with that, I’m a ninja who doesn’t need to use hand signs anymore, I just needed my mind. Even without thinking, I knew whose sand was this. The sand lifted me up until I was in front of the Kazekage at the rooftop.

“What do you want?” he asked with an emotionless tone in his voice while staring at me straight in the eye.

“I wish no harm,” I told him flatly, as emotionless as him. “I was just passing by,”

“Why are you not afraid?” he asked me. “Why are you not afraid of me crushing you? You’re a trespasser,”

“Go on,” I told him. I ignored the last part. “You could kill me,” he didn’t answer so I continued, “You couldn’t sleep again huh?”

Again?” he asked but still, with no emotion in his voice. Instead of asking me what was going on inside his mind, he explained his reason, “I don’t sleep. Nightmares.”

“I’ll help you,” I told him, not knowing where this was going. He eyed me suspiciously, “I’m not going to kill you, why would I?” he then safely landed me beside him. I took this as my cue to make myself comfortable by sitting beside him.

“What are you planning to do?” he asked me but not quite looking at me.

 He was gazing at the stars.

“I told you I’d help you. Could I touch you?” I asked him. He hesitated for a second but nodded. I guessed he really wanted to sleep. I grabbed his shoulder then placed his head on my lap.

“Wha—“ I then held his hand.

“Shh,” I told him. “Don’t talk. Just close your eyes.”

“I’ll just have nightmares,” he told me.

“No more nightmares,” I used my free hand to close his eyes. “I promise,”

[Gaara’s POV]

I was in Suna Academy. Children surrounded me with laughs and hugs. I laughed then hugged them. I never laugh, but I looked so happy.

“Kazekage!” a little boy called to me. “I want to be like you someday! You are so cool!”

“And strong!” the other boy told me.

“And handsome!” a little girl yelled. I laughed again. It’s a different side of me. They did not fear me anymore. The—