One of These Things is Not Like the Other

The twins were exceptional. Two perfect copies made that would do anything to help the other stay exactly as smart, as athletic, and as congenial as the other. They were a force of beauty in the town and drew eyes wherever they went. I was by no means an exception. I tried to keep it discrete in comparison to the ogling eyes of the girls in the school. Especially since I was a boy looking at them in exactly the same manner as a horny teenage misses without knowing if they swung my way.

It was so hard not to glance. Every time their identical smiles popped out or their same muscles bulged when they moved. They were almost always together, so double the impact every time it happened. If one was missing, then the other's eyes were searching for him. If one joined a team, then the other joined too. If one was a forward left wing, the other was a forward right wing, and so on and so forth. I swear even the marks they got on tests were probably identical, but now I'm just rambling.

At some point along the way in my high school career it would seem that I drew their gaze. I am not entirely certain how it happened really. Perhaps it was the way I avoided putting them on the spot, making them feel special, or giving them the right of way automatically. I didn't go out of my way to grab their attention, like by trying to befriend them randomly.

I didn't call out to them or congratulate them in the halls, since I didn't feel it right if I wasn't really friends with them. I didn't smile, flirt, nor go out of my way to help them. Lastly, I definitely didn't move out of their way in the halls or doorways. This last point was probably what caused the first interaction we had between us. I was just going about my business and... WHAM! I was on my ass, winded and knocked silly.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry. I didn't see you there." The warm voice came from above me somewhere as I waited for my head to stop spinning. I was hauled to my feet by two sets of strong arms, a little prematurely as I tottered unsteadily trying to keep my balance. Two warm bodies held me securely between them as I struggled to breath again.

"Obviously. Please be a little more careful next time. Us short people need a little space too." I wheezed and adjusted my bag, which had fortunately made the journey down and back up unscathed. Two sets of bright blue eyes regarded me with a rather excessive amount of surprise. I blinked at the twins, in all their gorgeousness, only a foot from me on either side.

"Yeah, sure. Sorry again." One of them said. I think it was Gabriel who said it, based on the way he fidgeted with the silver ring on his finger.

"It's fine Gabriel. Now, if you will excuse me?" I nodded to the space between them that was not big enough for me to squeeze through, even as skinny as I was. They both raised their eyebrows and exchanged a glance before parting to let me go. I went on about my life as per usual, only I noticed that on the few times I didn't manage to keep my eyes from them, they were staring right back at me.

The second time we seemed to have an encounter was a month later, when I was grabbing a book for my research in the library. I had looked up the location on the computer and since I was supposed to use a print book for my project thanks to an old fashioned teacher, I was headed to the section in which it was stored. There in the aisle were a small group of teenagers including the twins, some with books in their hands and others just with notebooks. I figured it was a group project.

I scanned the shelving, trying to block out the low voices even though I heard one of them chuckling in a low tone. My book wasn't here. I saw the empty spot where it was supposed to be, and the catalogue had said it wasn't checked out so... I turned with interest to the group now. I tried to remember what the picture on the screen looked like, I think it was a purple cover. There, in one of the twin's hands was a purple book. Of course. Just my luck.