An Uncertain Future

**Aphmau's POV**
**Play Song**

    "I can't believe that you're going to Phoenix Academy for the Arts! It's, like, the best school for the arts in the region!" I blushed, shoving another box into my small black car.

    "Well, it's not like I haven't been applying for the past two years and not getting in." Ivy scoffed, handing me a suitcase.

    "That's a double negative cutie," Teony called from across the yard. I rolled my eyes, sticking my tongue out at her back. Then I shoved the last of my bags into the car and stood back.

    "There! I'm all packed!" Teony came over with Celestia in her arms. Celeste barked and wagged her tail, turning her head and giving Tee a lick on the chin.

    "Aww! I'm gonna miss her so much!" She gave her a squeeze before opening the passenger seat door and putting her in. "Bye, Celestia! Be a good dog!" Celeste barked again, and I laughed.

    "I think she's going to miss you just as much." Teony giggled, coming over to stand with me.

    "Oh, I think I'll miss you the most cutie." Then she gave me a hug, and I felt tears pricking the backs of my eyes.

    "I'm going to miss you so much Teony. Thank you for everything." She gave me a squeeze before pulling away, giving me her brightest smile.

    "I'm sorry I can't come with you Aphmau. But school starts in a couple of days and I have to get ready and-" I gave her a look and she started giggling. "But I really am sorry."

    I shrugged, making sure to keep my smile wide. "I can't expect you to drop everything for me. Besides, we'll talk to each other every single day." She nodded confirmation before the two of us burst into giggles. Ivy rolled her eyes and leaned against the car, scratching Celestia's ears through the window.

    "You guys are crazy. Aph, we have to get going." Sighing, I hugged Teony one last time before getting into the car. Ivy shooed Celestia into the back seat before slipping into the passenger seat. "I'll be back in a week or so Tee. Love ya!" I started the car and drove away, saying goodbye to another friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "You okay Aph?" I looked up from the road and glanced at Ivy. Her blue eyes were slightly tired, but I knew that she wouldn't stop until I told her what was really on my mind. That was one of the things I had grown to love and hate about Ivy.

    I sighed, pulling my car over to the side of the road. She shifted her position so that she was facing me and tucked her phone into her pocket. I turned the car off and sat with my hands in my lap for several moments, gathering my thoughts.

    "Well... to be honest... no, I'm not okay. I feel terrible about leaving Teony, and also... I can't get what Dad and I fought about out of my head. Something just seemed... off." Ivy reached out and took my hands in hers. Sometimes, I wondered why it was that she could be so good with emotions.

    "Tell me again. Together we'll get to the bottom of this." I gave her a half smile and squeezed her hands.

    "Well, you know how I've been applying to PAA since senior year of high school right?" She nodded, a slight smile coming over her face.

    "You were obsessing over getting into that school." I giggled, remembering how intent I had been to get into PAA.

    "Yeah. And I was heartbroken when I didn't get accepted. My dad didn't seem terribly upset, telling me that my efforts would be better spent in a school where I could pursue a job that would actually get me somewhere in life. I didn't talk to him for a week after that. But anyway, I went to O'kasis University with a major in medicine because Dad wanted me to follow in his footsteps so badly, and I figured if I couldn't be a dancer, then I would be a doctor with him." I smiled, remembering how determined I had been to become a doctor.

    "But I didn't give up. I applied to PAA again in freshmen year, as well as sophomore year. I told my dad when I applied in freshmen year, and when I didn't get accepted, I know he tried to be disappointed for my sake. But he just didn't care. So the next year, I applied but didn't tell him. I didn't think I was ever going to get accepted. But I did. I got accepted with a full scholarship, and my heart literally exploded. I rushed home and told my dad, and then..." I trailed off, unable to put our fight into words.

    "Why can't you be happy for me?!" I shouted, eyes blazing and fists clenched tightly. Dad stood opposite me, just as livid.

    "You have a perfectly good career in your hands! Don't throw it away for some dance school!" I growled, anger growing.

    "This is the most prestigious school for the arts in the entire region! Don't call it 'some dance school!' And why can't you just accept the fact that I don't want to be like you?! I don't care for being a doctor; I want to be a dancer!" Dad clenched his fists tightly.

    "You will do as I tell you to!" He roared, voice becoming louder than it ever had before. Normally I would shrink away and apologize, but not this time.

    "And why should I?! I am a grown adult; I can make my own decisions! You and your decisions have ruined my life! They've prevented me from growing up at home! O'kasis may be the place I grew up, but Phoenix Drop will always be my home! They've prevented me from having friends that were almost family! I love Teony and Ivy, but they aren't the people I left behind! And they've taken away my mom! I haven't even seen her since I was in second grade!"

    "I protected you from everything!" His voice implied that I needed to drop the subject now before everything became worse for me. "Phoenix Drop and those friends of yours weren't what you needed to grow. And your mother wasn't good enough for you! She never would've been able to provide everything that you needed! I helped you!" Shrieking, I stomped my foot and felt hot tears start to run down my cheeks.

    "They didn't do anything but hurt me! And I'm not going to let another one of your terrible decisions run my life!" With that I wheeled around and stomped out of the house, grabbing my keys from the counter. All of my belongings were still in my dorm room, so I didn't have to worry about packing. I started my car and raced out of the driveway, down the block, and onto the highway.

    Once I was a good couple miles from home, I pulled over to the side of the road. I let out a scream and banged my head against the edge of the steering wheel. Then I started to cry, fat tears rolling down my face and huge sobs racking my body.

    I closed my eyes, feeling a tear drip down my face. Ivy was biting her lip, keeping her hands wrapped tightly around mine.

    "Oh, Aphmau..." I laughed, sniffing and wiping away the tears.

    "I'm fine now. But... I think I'm just scared that Dad did something to prevent me from going to PAA. I mean, why else would I have only gotten in now with a full scholarship the one year I didn't tell him?" Ivy shrugged, but I could tell that she agreed with me.

    "Let's not dwell on the past Aph. How about we keep driving? Maybe... maybe we can stop by your old house in Phoenix Drop? We are going to be there anyway." My heart started to lift as I remembered the old gray house of my childhood.

       "I would love that Ivy. And thank you for listening." She waved the gratitude aside and pulled out her phone again, slouching in the seat and texting who knew. I laughed again before starting the car and merging with the rest of the traffic.