Happy Memories

**Aaron's POV**

     "Congratulations boys!" Jeffory and I were pulled into a hug by Mrs. Ro'Meave, the overexcited woman squeezing so tightly that I thought my ribs might crack. "My Irene, I can't believe you've graduated! It seems just like yesterday you two were little boys running around the neighborhood!"

     "Thanks Mrs. Zianna," Jeffory managed to say before she let us go. "Trust me, it feels weird for us too." She laughed, patting us both on the shoulders before moving off. Jeffory and I exchanged a look, sharing our feelings for Zianna.

     "Irene, did we really graduate today?" I handed Jeffory a cup of punch, shaking my head at the prospect. "I mean, didn't we just start college like last year?"

     Jeffory shook his head, downing the punch in one go. "I know. It's going to be nice not having to put up with you every day as my roommate." I punched him, ignoring the weird feeling in my stomach.

     He was right. Today marked the end of an era. Jeffory and I had graduated from Phoenix Academy for the Arts after four long years, and now we were going our separate ways. Jeffory had already received an invitation to join the Pikoro Drama Troupe, and he had every intention of accepting. Pikoro was almost halfway across the region of Ru'aun, and, even though I would never admit it to him, I didn't know what I would do knowing that Jeffory was so far away.

     "Aaron! Jeffory!" Approaching was Nicole, her dusky red hair pulled up into a ponytail. I smiled, stepping forward to intercept her hug.

     "Nicole! Great to see you!" She pulled away after a second, giving Jeffory a short hug as well. "You were great in the play last weekend."

     "Thanks Aaron! And Giselle was amazing! No matter how many times I watch you guys dance, it never fails to amaze me how effortless it looks." I laughed, nudging her shoulder.

     "Oh, it's anything but. By the way, how are things going with Dante?" She winked, glancing over at the blue-haired boy chatting with Garroth and Laurance.

     "He's slow, but I think I'm finally warming him up. Who knows, maybe by the end of summer I'll finally get him to ask me out." We laughed, and I shook my head at Dante's obliviousness.

     "Jeffory, didn't you get an invitation to Pikoro?" When Jeffory nodded, she elbowed him in the side. "Hope once you're there, you finally learn how to memorize your lines." I laughed at Jeffory and Nicole before leaving them, searching for a friend in the crowd.

     All of our friends and family were there at the party Lucinda was throwing for my and Jeffory's graduation. Even my parents had shown up, and I occasionally saw them talking and trying to get to know my friends' parents better. We were here on the green where we had spent so many days of our childhood playing tag and make-believe.

     "Aaron!" Arms wrapped around my neck from behind, a body pressing against my back. I laughed, wrapping my own arms around her waist and spinning around.

     Aphmau giggled, sliding off my back to hug me properly. "Irene, you're so old!" I punched her arm, laughing along with her.

     "Hey! At least I'm not a short potato!"

     "No, you promised you would stop calling me that!"

     "I said no such thing, potato."

     "Aaron!"

     "Aaron!" I mocked, leading to her punching my arm this time. We laughed, and I lost myself in the moment. Who knew how many memories like these I would have after I left Phoenix Drop?

     "So what are you going to do this summer? Look for a job?" I groaned, draping my arm over her shoulders.

     "I don't know. I have to find a dance company that's looking for people, so who knows where that's going to take me. Honestly? Part of me doesn't even want to start looking. If I start, that means I'll probably have to leave Phoenix Drop and go to Meteli or Bright Port, or even O'khasis. Phoenix Drop is my home. I don't know if I'm ready to leave yet."

     She hugged me, burying her face in my chest. "I don't want you to leave either, Aaron. But you're an amazing dancer. And if that means you have to go all the way to Tula to have your talent recognized, you should go for it."

     My head felt light, and I fought hard to keep a goofy smile from spreading. "Thanks Aph. You know, you're an amazing dancer t-"

     "Aaron! Can you come here and settle an argument for us?!" I sighed, pulling away from Aphmau while rolling my eyes.

     "I'll be back. I swear, these boys will never grow up." Her laugh followed me as I walked away, heading towards Garroth and Laurance. "Hey guys. What's the issue now?"

     "Well, there's not actually an argument. We just had a question for you." Garroth looked at Laurance, the latter pushing him to continue with his eyes. "Umm... do you like Aph?"

     "Do I- what?" I became flustered, blinking rapidly and unable to get any coherent words out. Laurance sighed, looking over at Garroth.

     "I told you."

      "Why, why are you asking me that?" I managed to stammer out. Laurance laughed, nudging my arm with his elbow.

      "Oh come on, it's obvious. But no, we were wondering cause, well, we've both had a crush on her all year. But we never pushed it cause we were both too nervous, and then she was dating Ein, and now... well, the two of you have gotten really close, and it's kinda hard to tell if you two are dating or not."

      "Well, I can assure you that we're not!" I exclaimed, still flustered by their question. Garroth rolled his eyes, brushing his blonde hair out of his face.

      "Aaron, you gotta go for it! If you never try, you'll forever be wondering what could have happened." I stared at the two men in front of me, the looks in their eyes and the smiles they both had for me. I shook my head, throwing my arms around their shoulders.

     "How did I get so lucky in having friends like you guys?" They laughed, nudging my stomach with their elbows. "But, hold on. You just said you both have crushes-"

     "Oh, we moved on when we saw the two of you together."

     "Besides," Laurance added, "I'm pretty sure that Lucinda's been flirting with me all night, and I'm not about to pass up on her." I rolled my eyes, unable to hide the grin. "And Garroth, what about... oh, Kim! She totally has a thing for you." I shook my head, leaving the two to talk about girls to head back to Aphmau.

     Or, I meant to, until I was sidetracked by my older sister. "Oh little bro! I can't believe how old you're getting!" She hung from my neck, basically draping herself across my chest. I laughed, swatting her away and earning giggles out of her. "No, but seriously, if you need somewhere to stay while you find a company or a job or whatever it is, you can always stay with me. I know Falconclaw is sort of far away, but I know that you and Dad aren't on the best of terms..."

     I interrupted her by placing a hand on her forearm, a warm smile lighting up my face. "Actually... I think things are okay now." Her eyebrows lifted in surprise, but she didn't push.

     "Well, my doors are always open. Even for my annoying little brother." She linked her arm with mine before pulling me towards the snacks laid out on a table. "Come on, I'm starving and you're going to tell me what's the best."

      As my sister dragged me through the party celebrating me and Jeffory, I couldn't help but take in everything around me. The laughter of family and friends, people who had impacted me so much and shaped me into the man I was today. The faces I would never forget, no matter how long I lived. This was a night that I would remember for a long time, one that I would hold close to my chest and rely on when times got hard. Because it reminded me that, no matter what happened, I would always have these amazing people in my life.