Disturbing News

**Aaron's POV**

    "Hey Melissa, what did you want to talk about?" I was sitting on the edge of my bed, phone sitting on my bedside table with the speaker on. It was a Sunday night, and Jeffory and I had just returned from the cafe for dinner. I still had homework to do, but I figured that this would be the only chance I would have to talk to Melissa for a while.

    "I asked you to call a week ago." Her tone was almost accusing, but I laughed.

    "Sarcasm noted, loud and clear." We laughed together, and it made me smile that even though I was on bad terms with our parents, my sister and I were still as close as ever. "I'm sorry that I'm busy with school. Remember that? School? And The Nutcracker's opening night is in a month- I've been very busy with one of the lead roles."

    Melissa gasped, and her voice sounded giddy. "I forgot about that! Send me the dates, I wanna come! Is Cadenza your partner again?"

    I laughed at her. I forgot how forgetful she could be. "No, it's Aphmau. Long story, I'll tell you over Thanksgiving break." Melissa sighed before switching topics.

    "Alright. Anyway, I really needed to talk to you. It's about Mom and Dad." She sounded serious, and my mood quickly swung to match hers.

    "Are they okay? Did something happen?" Melissa laughed under her breath, but it wasn't cheerful.

    "It amazes me that even though you and Dad seem to fight every second of the day, you still care about them. But no, nothing bad happened. To them." She added as an afterthought. I frowned, picking up the phone and pressing it to my ear, turning the speaker off.

    "What do you mean, nothing bad happened to them? Who did this something bad happen to?" Melissa's resulting sigh answered my question. I groaned, almost knowing exactly what she was about to say.

    "They canceled your credit card. And Dad's been talking about removing you from PAA, sending you to the college I went to." I growled, hands tightening into fists. My fingernails dug into my skin, leaving marks. Melissa sat there, letting me curse out our parents in as many imaginative ways as possible.

    "Why the hell would they do that? Is that even possible now that it's now November?" Melissa sighed again, and I so badly wished she was next to me. I really did love my sister, and I hated it that our parents seemed to drive a wedge between us.

    "I don't know. I'm trying my best to convince them otherwise. I really am Aaron. But Dad is determined. I... I don't know what else I can do for you, Aaron." Now it was my turn to sigh, falling backward on the bed.

    "I just wish all of this was over. I wish Dad wasn't so... ugh." Melissa made a sound of agreement, and the two of us sat in silence for several minutes.

    "Well, that's what I wanted to talk with you about." Melissa groaned slightly, and the creak of wood made Aaron think that she was standing from a chair, most likely the armchair in her bedroom. "Don't be surprised when you can't buy anything."

    "Thanks, Melissa. You'll be home for Thanksgiving, right?" She said yes, and then we said our goodbyes. After hanging up, I stared up at the ceiling for another hour until Jeffory knocked on my door, opening the door and sticking his head inside.

    "Hey, you've been quiet for a while. Wanna watch a movie?" I agreed, trying to push any thoughts of my father from my mind and have a fun time with my roommate. But it remained on the edge of my mind the entire night. Why does he have to hate me so much? Why does he treat me so differently from Melissa? I get that I'm his only son. I get that I'm following my own dream, not his. But why does he have to react so strongly when I said I don't want to be the CEO of our company? Why can't he be proud of me?