Character Development Guide: Protagonist/Antagonist

Notice: The following is a VERY basic overview of any details about your character. For this, you are NOT including physical descriptions or any details that do not pertain to this character's place. Please note that the following is only recommended, and is in no way required. More advanced guides are available in previous chapters if you are looking for a more elaborate character sheet. 

Notice: I highly recommend that you keep copies of all your work for this in multiple locations. As a tip, I always keep a backup on a hidden flash drive (Password Protect your files if you can), A saved copy on google docs (Personal email only, do not save to a public email) and a printed copy. Remember to date and put your name on ALL copies. 

Character Name:

Role: (Protagonist/Antagonist)

Goals: The characters end game or objective. This can change as your story develops. 

Notes: (Key details that make the character unique/reason for why they are a protagonist/antagonist) 

Traits: This is the body and soul of your character. You want at least FIVE traits. Three strengths and 2 weaknesses. This has been the best balance I have worked with when making a character. Note, this WILL grow and change as your character grows, leading us to the final detail.

Story Arch: This is where you decide how your character will grow. Whether it be from changing a weakness to a strength or a strength to a weakness or even adding a new trait, this is where you record how your character evolves through the story and what their overall arch is. I have a habit where I will list the chapters that mark growth in the character and what that growth is. 

This sheet will work for both a Protagonist and Antagonist. Contrary to popular belief, many will argue that the antagonist does not need defining traits or archs though a story, as they are meant to only be a challenge for the character. Personally, I see this as an excuse for a flat two-dimensional character. Darth Vader from the well known and popular franchise, STAR WARS is a perfect example of a 3-D antagonist. He has a background, a beginning and reason for being who he was and why. I highly recommend taking this same approach to ALL if not MOST of your antagonists. 

Hope this helps and good luck! if you need any help, feel free to ask!

A/N:
          The following link will take you directly to my yearly update schedule. Please, go here if you want to keep tabs on when I will be updating chapters. If you are finding this guide to be useful and helpful, please remember to leave a vote and help me out by showing your support! Thank you!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/142522276-my-update-schedule