Magic Guide: Soft Outline

NOTICE: The following guide is not in any way required. I comprised this guide as a means to assist you with your work, and you may feel free to ignore anything you don't think you need. Secondly, please remember to keep a copy of all of your work. I recommend a minimum of three separate to the original draft. One on your computer, one on a flash drive, and a written/and or printed copy.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVrnfniQiS8

            Let us begin. A soft magic system cares less about how magic is used and more for how it is incorporated into a story. Some of the best examples of a Soft Magic System are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones. As stated in the video linked above, three things you want to consider through this process are:

- Tension
- Point of View
- Unpredictability

            To better understand the vitality of these points, watch the video above. I could spend an hour or two here rewriting everything said in the video, but that just takes too long and might not end well. So, I will try to sum this up.

            Soft magic can work wonders in a novel, but it might also destroy it. The part you must be careful on is when you use the magic and how you let it be used. This is extremely critical when the POV of the story is through the eyes of a mage. The worst you can do is have every problem answered with a magic trick. That said, here is a simple guide to structure your Soft magic system.

1) Who is able to use magic?:
            Compile a list of characters able to use magic.

1.2) What can they do?:
            Then, you want to list the abilities and powers of each character under question one. You do not have to explain how they use the power or where they got it from. Just make note that it is there.

3) Can your protagonist use magic?:
            Now, this is where it gets tricky. If your answer is YES, then continue along with the following questions/tips. If the answer is no, skip to question 4.

            If you answered yes to question 3, this is where you have to be more careful. The biggest flaw in an MC being able to use magic is that magic can be an easy fix to an otherwise complicated problem. This is why in question 1, you were asked to list the abilities of any given character capable of using magic. There are a few ways to avoid this flaw, some of which are mentioned in the video linked at the start of this chapter.

            The first solution is to give your MC an uncontrollable power or set of powers that they can not fully bend to their will. A small example of this would be in the movie Beautiful Creatures where our female protagonist has moments through the film where her abilities act on their own accord, not always at her own will. This gives the reader the idea that our MC, for the most part, will be trying to solve the problem by normal means and raises the stakes when a situation may demand or require a magical solution they are not able to fully control.

            Another means to avoid the issue would be to put the protagonist in situations where their magic cannot solve the problem, or can only solve a portion of the problem while still requiring some additional effort from non-magical sources. Forcing your MC to not rely on their magic and to combat situations that may even use their magic against them provide some intense moments and can make a large impact on personal or group character development.

            Alternatively, you could make the character able to use magic morally conflicted about it solving a given problem. Where and why this confliction exists is up to you, but keep in mind to make the situation realistic and believable.

            Finally, an option I have seen explored in some anime, would be to make the magic user limited to a very specific kind of spell, either by force or moral belief. A grand example of this is Megumin from Kono Subarashii ni Shukufuku wo. The character chooses at her own will to only ever use explosion magic, never anything else. It could be quite an amusing comical relief in some cases.

4) What is the magical characters relation to the protagonist?:
            Another aspect that can affect how you write is the protagonist's relations with these given characters. Are they friends? Enemies? Acquaintances? Do they even know one another at all? The list goes on. These relationships can start a foundation for character development and even carve out future conflicts that may arise in the story.

            Also, keep in mind how widely known the art of magic is. A classic example would be Harry Potter. If the MC is unaware of another character's magical abilities, be sure to carefully consider how the two character might interact. This could be used as a took to cause character conflicts, with the MC always asking for the Magic User to solve the problem rather than do any hard work.

5) How often is the magical character involved in the main plot?:
            This sort of goes back to the problem with the MC being the magic user. If your MC is always with a character who is able to use magic, it is easily tempting to let the magic user solve all the problems. There are several ways to handle this effectively if you say yes.

Plot Side Note:
            You have to consider how these characters meet. Especially if you MC is not magically inclined. In which case, do they know about magic? Is this completely new to them? If the magic system is a secret, how did they stumble upon the fact that the other character has magic? If you are going to find solutions then you also have to understand why the problem is occurring in the first place.

            First, you can force these two characters apart throughout the novel. Whether it be by a trap or getting lost in a town, the MC is bound to have a harder time with a challenge without the convenient aid of his/her magical buddy. This will raise the tension and demand more effort from your MC to solve the problems at hand.

            Another option would be to pull from what I mentioned earlier where the MC and magical character face challenges that may not be solvable by the magical capabilities of the MC's companion. Or the magic-inclined character refused to use magic for the purpose of simply solving a problem because of rules around their magical system or moral reasons.

            By now I am sure you can tell what the point of all this comes down to. Magic is great. It makes for a spectacular wonder in a story and is fun to read about. Just don't let it control the story or remove character development. Challenge the main characters and give them a hard time. Even if they can shoot magical lighting balls that blow up a mile radius out of their hands. Okay, a bit extreme but you get the point.

6) Does the magic in your world have a developed system?:
            Last but not least, do you want to explain how the magic works? You don't have to reveal any of this in your novel, but it is not impossible to have a soft magic system that includes rules and limitations. In fact, a mix of both can be very intriguing. Just remember if you choose yes to stick to those rules to the T. Otherside you may get a reaction like the Last Jedi did when Lea flew in space to safety...not fun xP

            Even if you don't want to go into great depth with developing your magical system it would be good to come up with a set list of limitations that restrict characters from becoming too abstract. Whether it be they are only able to control water or their world has magical laws, it's good to know these things. Even if you don't bring them up in the book. As a writer you are the master of the world, it becomes more believable the more you know because you are able to put little hints of them into the work. Just a rough outline is all that's actually needed.

            If you said yes, stick around for the next chapter. while we go through the process of creating a Hard Magic System, we will go into extensive detail on what you can do with these rules, limitations, and the importance of every little detail.