Character Names: Tips/Resources

Notice: Warning, this is not going to be as much as a guide as it will aim to provide resources to assist you.  I highly recommend that you keep copies of all your work for this in multiple locations. As a tip, I always keep a backup on a hidden flash drive (Password Protect your files if you can), A saved copy on google docs (Personal email only, do not save to a public email) and a printed copy. Remember to date and put your name on ALL copies.

Resources:

            -  Character Naming Sourcebook: Second Edition by Sherrilyn Kenyon: First on my list is one of the best reference materials I can recommend. For less than ten dollars you can get a book that not only shares advice on how to choose names, it also provides several lists of example names (Male and Female) from many languages. Thus far it is hands down the best resource I can recommend.

            -  Random Name Generators: This one is possibly the most well known and truthfully, the easiest way to find names for your characters. While this may be on my list, I will say it is not a source I would tell you to go to first. Or even second. If your needing a name for D&D or some other Rp game where you're not set in a fantasy setting, then this could be helpful to you. I do not recommend this to be used on a large, with more than three characters, at most. 

Tips: 

1.) Capture the Persona
            Try to choose a name that captures the characters personality. This can be something obvious like choosing a name that means death for a God of Death or something as subtle as a name representing a symbol that represents death. That choice is yours. Keep this in mind for ALL characters, not just the MC.

2.) Choose names that keep to the characters heritage, personality, and or trade.
             Self-explanatory. Choosing names that represent the character tends to feel more fitting than people would expect.

3.) Make the name Harmonious
            Vary the syllables between first and last names. Aim for a name that flows smoothly.

4.) Keep names consistent with the time period
            This is a bit one, especially with alternate history novels or fantasy. Names fitting the time period are believable and immersive.

5.) Keep a character's social status in mind
            Some names may have added titles or prefixes depending on status. From Lord to Count or even Sir, keep in mind if these apply to your character.

6.) Use nicknames
            Using nicknames within the novel between characters also makes the writing feel more alive and immersive. Especially when nicknames have been around for ages and people often find nicknames relatable.

7.) Vary the names of characters
            Unless it is critical to the plot or world-building, don't get stuck on specific lettering or rhythms between names. Even if the names have a common root.

8.) Remember your Genre
            This comes down to reader expectations. If a name does not feel fitting to the genre you are writing it, avoid it unless you don't have another option.

9.) If a name breaks the rules, explain why.
            If you are going to break off from most of these tips, explain it in the novel. Why is a modern name in a novel set in the middle ages? Time travel perhaps? Make note of these oddities if you want them, and be sure to explain why they got that name. Even if it is as simple as their mother making the name up. This can also affect social status.

10.) Avoid famous names (if possible)
            If you can, avoid the popular names that you may want to use. Stay on top of the popular name trends. Using popular names for your work can feel uncreative or forced, even if they follow all the tips above.

Specific Genre Advise:

Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror:
            Something I have learned to utilize is that when I start building a new civilization, I seek out a real-world culture or language to use as a foundation. While some cases may not make this possible, just having a language to use as a foundation for new terminology or names helps build consistency and depth to the world you create. 

            It is recommended though to avoid names that a reader may stumble over. You could always take it a step further and insert a pronunciation note, but this may feel distracting to a reader. In other cases, you could put the effort into working with no references to the real world. This tends to provide a lot of creative freedom, but even then, the wrong name can feel out of place.

Romance/Erotica:
            Unlike most genres, romance readers tend to be open-minded to what they may get for character names. That being said, even some of the oddest names could be more than acceptable. A common trend, however, tends for heroine names to be softer while hero names tend to be stronger.

Thrillers/Paranormal:
            A common trend here is for names to be short but strong. Catchy but smart. I would not go so far as to call it a rule, but keeping the trend would not be bad either.

War/Military/Western:
            Best advice here is to stick to time period names that were common for the setting of the book. Considering that most of these novels, even in fantasy, tend to relate to real-world time periods, this will do the most in making the names feel right and immersive.

Teen Fiction:
            For this genre, refer to popular names of your generation. These become the most relatable to your target audience.