Chapter 2

The clock was getting closer to six in the evening when Frank finally managed to finish filling up the agenda, which he's found in one of the drawers in his new desk, with Gerard's schedule. He filled it carefully and made sure he had no emails were left to reply to before finally deciding to bite the bullet and go talk to Gerard.

The few feet that separated Gerard's office from Frank's desk felt like miles. Frank really didn't want to do this. He liked his new job, despite the mini freak out he had over Gerard that morning. He liked the idea that he could actually afford decent Christmas presents for his little sister that year, even a decent Halloween costume that he didn't have to paint on her face. He liked having a secure income for once in his life not gained by slaving for hours in food service. But there was no way he would be able to move in with Gerard in his house. He couldn't leave Diana alone and so Gerard wasn't going to let him stay in the job.

Frank finally made it to Gerard's door and knocked. Gerard's been there for a few hours after he finished at the studio. He hadn't left and hadn't Frank been transferring calls to him all afternoon, he would've thought the guy was dead or something.

Gerard's quiet come in got Frank in. Frank was almost used to it by now that he had to suppress a grimace on knowing he wouldn't hear it again. Goodness Frank, get a grip.

"Yes, Frank?" Gerard said while reading something between his hands, sipping on a cup of coffee. Frank waited until he signed whatever he's been reading and looked up at him. "I don't have all night, Frank." Gerard suddenly said and Frank realized he's been staring, he looked away.

"I just wanted to tell you I was done for the day," Frank blurted out.

"Good," Gerard said as he went back to reading, "do you need me to give you written permission to go home?" He added with an annoyed voice as he looked up again.

Frank tried not to snap at him, the guy was just an asshole boss, just an asshole boss, Frank... "no, I was just coming to talk to you about moving in tomorrow,"

Gerard actually dropped the papers he's been reading, he seemed more annoyed now and looked up at Frank as if saying well? When Frank didn't reply, however, he said, "I can't read minds, you know,"

"Well, the thing is, Gerard, I have an eight-year-old sister and I'm her only guardian. I can't leave her alone. I'm sorry. I—"

"Why don't you move in your stuff in while she's at school?" Gerard seemed genuinely curious now like he couldn't understand Frank's argument at all, then something in his eyes lit and he added, "if her school is the problem, have the driver get her to and from it, anything else?"

Frank couldn't help but let his mouth drop. Gerard meant him and Diana to move in? "No," he answered once he was over his shock, "I mean, no nothing else. I'll have our things moved tomorrow morning." Frank tried to emphasize the word our as much as he could to make sure Gerard was actually aware of what he was offering.

Gerard nodded impatiently at that and waved Frank off. Frank was so shocked he didn't even feel offended.

...

"But I like our home,"

Diana said for the tenth time that morning and Frank just looked at her across the kitchen island they were eating breakfast at. "I know, little angel. But we'll have so much fun there, I promise. You'll have a bigger room and your own bathroom." Frank repeated for the tenth time as well. They've already had that argument the night before and he thought he got Diana at least a little excited about moving, but she only seemed to change her mind overnight. Frank knew it had to do with her hating change in all its forms, especially after their parents' death. She was still too young back then to get it, but they had to move houses right after and she must've connected all the bad memories of missing them to moving.