Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Tyler's POV

It was six thirty when my alarm clock went off waking me up for school. With a quick motion of my hands I sent the clock flying across the room, breaking against the wall. I hated Mondays.

I lay in bed tangled under the warmth of my blanket for a few minutes before finally getting up and trudging towards the bathroom. I started the day by taking a long shower, letting the hot water stream down my smooth back before bathing and rinsing off. Afterwards, I quickly styled my hair and headed downstairs to have breakfast with my family. I had barely begun my descent down the stairs when my nose was assaulted with the savory smell of maple bacon, scrambled eggs, and chocolate chipped waffles. My mom never let us leave without as good breakfast, I guess it was the kindergarten teacher inside of her. "It's the most important meal of the day." she always said. I may have hated Mondays, but I loved waking up to my favorite meal in the morning.

“Morning Mom, hey Dad!” I greeted as I sat down the table and waited for my plate. They both smiled and said good morning as my mom placed a gentle kiss on my forehead before giving me my plate.

“Eat up,” she beamed.                          

I took a small bite of my pancakes and then looked up to see my dad staring at my plate hungrily. “Um Rachelle, dear, aren’t you forgetting someone?” my father asked with a slight grin, eyeing my bacon. I glanced over and noticed that mom had forgotten to give dad a plate.

“Nope,” she smiled warmly as she headed back into the kitchen. A few moments later she returned with another plate and a cup of coffee. “Here you go honey.” She chuckled as she set the food in front of him. I couldn’t help but smile at my parent’s interaction. They had been married for twenty years now, but they were just as in love now as they were when they first met.

My mother was the nicest person I knew. She was the kindergarten teacher at a nearby elementary school down the road. My father, Daniel, on the other hand, was dressed up in a black button up shirt which he had tucked in his ironed khaki pants. To top it all off, he wore a pair of shiny dress shoes and an all-black, expensive, watch. I never really knew what my dad did for a living. It was one of those “don’t ask, don’t tell” kind of things because he didn’t like to talk about it. All I knew was that whatever he did, he did it at some science compound in the city.

Growing up, I always remembered thinking my dad was secretly some sort of superhero like Superman. He was so mysterious. I figured the scientist thing was just a disguise for his true identity. I thought this for a while, especially after I discovered my powers.

The only people who know who I really am are my parents, and my brother Wyatt. I discovered them around the age of seven. It all started, on Christmas Eve...

My parents were setting up the Christmas tree as I sat under it and stared blankly at the lights. I enjoyed looking at all the different colors. Once they had finished, my mom tried putting the star on the top when she lost her balance and nearly fell. In the process, she managed to shake the tree causing it to tilt forward. We all watched in horror as the once pretty tree seemingly turned evil and went crashing down heading directly for my young little head. To this day I can still remember how scared I was when I closed my eyes and threw my hands up in desperation, praying for the tree to stop somehow. It worked. After what seemed like an eternity, I wearily opened my eyes and stared up at the tree that was now hovering in the air just above my head.

“Oh my god!” my mother gasped frantically, "He's one of them!"

At the time, I didn't even know what 'one of them' even meant. There had been a few reports of people doing strange things with their minds, but nothing concrete. My parents had done a good job of shielding me from stories like that.

Slowly, my hands began to tremble under the unseen pressure of the tree. Noticing this, my father, who had been quiet the entire time, stood up and began to walk over towards me.

“I got it son” he said grabbing the suspended tree and standing it back up right. For a minute I just sat there in shock, astonished by what I had just did. I just knew it had to be a dream. I pinched fat under my arm. It wasn’t. Somehow I had just stopped an object with nothing but the invisible force of my hands.

For years this moment played over in my head, but there was one thing I could never get passed. Later on that night, after everyone went to sleep, I was woken up by a small pinch in my left arm. By the time I finally forced my eyes open, all I could see was dad's silhouette closing the door. I felt my arm where I got pinched but nothing was there except for the soft throb you feel after getting a shot. I wanted to ask him about it, but it slipped my childish mind in all the festivities of Christmas.

After finishing my delicious breakfast, and washing out all the dishes, I made my way up the stairs and towards Wyatt’s room.  When I got there, I found my brother sound asleep in bed completely unaware of the outside world. With a small grin and swift swipe of my fingers, I sent the bed sheets sliding off the bed and to the cold floor, dragging Wyatt with it in the process.

“What was that for?!” Wyatt moaned angrily.

“Get up, or you’re going to be late for school.” I replied

“You sound like mom!” Wyatt huffed before rolling over and closing his eyes. In a matter of seconds, the once idle cup of water on the dresser found its way across the room spilling its contents all of Wyatt’s face.

“Ahhh!” he yelped, hopping off of the floor. “If I ever get powers, I’m hurling you off the empire state building” he grumbled as he rummaged for a towel to wipe his face.

“We’ll see.” I grinned as I left the room. After grabbing my backpack, I took one quick glance in the mirror, sprayed on my favorite cologne, and went back down stairs to say goodbye to my parents.

“Bye mom, bye dad” I said with a smile. They both wished me a good day and went back to finishing their breakfast.

“Oh, and son, be careful.” my father breathed in between sips of his coffee.

“I will.” I promised and walked out the door, shutting it behind me.

I slowly made my way out the yard and towards my bus stop. I loved this new neighborhood. The neighbors were nice, the people at my school were friendly for the most part, and it just felt like home. We had moved here form when I was ten, shortly after the development of Scorpio. My father said that New York would be the perfect place for me to blend in and have fun growing up.  He was right too. There so many beautiful places to go and things to do I was rarely ever bored. But when I was, I liked to go out and play tricks on people with my powers. I once tricked a lady by making her think her food was still moving while she was eating. I almost died from laughing so hard when she ran away screaming from the table. Sure, using my powers out in public was reckless, but it was fun to live a little.

Growing up, I always used to wonder what my life would be like if I could just be free to use my powers out in the open. What if I didn’t have to bear the burden of keeping secrets from my best friends? There were so many times where I just wanted to scream it out to the world, but I knew what would happen if I did.

As I continued walking up the sidewalk, I noticed an all-black Cadillac Escalade pull up beside me in the street. The driver let down the window and called out to me, motioning for me to come closer. After a brief hesitation, I slowly made my was over to the car. I wasn’t really scared about being kidnapped or anything. I was an Evolutionary, and could easily take on any human without even breaking a sweat. Besides, it was probably just some random lost dude asking for directions. It was so easy to get lost out in New York. God knows how I did so many times.

“Yeah?” I answered. I tried pushing into the man’s mind to figure out what he was up to, but was surprised when I couldn’t. “That’s weird” I thought just as the windows were being rolled down. All at once I noticed the man was wearing a black suit and tie a name tag saying Agent Finch on it with a drawing of a scorpion next to it. My heart nearly stopped. This wasn’t just some lost dude looking for directions; this was an agent from Scorpio.

A/N: Hope you liked it! Things really start to heat up later on! Don’t forget to VOTE and COMMENT :)