Chapter 10 - The Great Escape

For I minute I thought I was dreaming again. I wasn’t. his was all really happening! I slid my hands out of the loose straps and then freed my feet before standing up. Lauren really was short, I was about 5’11 and Lauren looked like a midget compared to me. But what she lacked in height, she made up in ferocity. Just as someone entered the room she sent them flying through a nearby window landing on the cold floor outside. She was a little bad ass. “So are you going to stay here and think about me or help us get you out of here?” she asked bluntly. She must have been reading my mind. All that time without my powers almost made me forget what I was capable of. I shrugged and then responded.

“You know for someone so short you sure got a lot of anger in you.” I teased. Before I even blinked Lauren had my face pressed against the wall with my hand behind my back. She leaned up on her tippy toes and then whispered roughly into my ear.

“I don’t like it when people joke about my height, got it?” she  questioned.

“Sure thing.” I winced. She let go of my arm and started walking out the door. Obediently, I followed. Inside the hallway was complete chaos. People were scattering all throughout the room ducking for cover and running towards the exits. I couldn’t help but laugh. “All this just to rescue me?” I smirked.

“No, it’s not.” Someone stated from behind us. I turned around to see who was speaking. It was a girl, she looked about sixteen and was a couple of inches shorter than me. She had dark golden colored hair that fell to her shoulders. She wore a black tank top, blue jeans, and a pair of converses. Her face seemed familiar and cause to think back to a few days ago. The images of a little girl and her brother being chased replayed itself in my mind. I let out a small gasp when it all sunk in. There was no way this was possible.

“Autumn?” I called in almost a whisper.

“Do I know you?” she asked looking puzzled. I scratched my head and then looked at my feet.

“No, but I know your brother, Jeremy.” I replied looking back up at her. A series of emotions passed through her eyes. Hurt, pain, and then excitement.

“Jeremy!” She repeated trying to hide her excitement.

“Yup, he’s the reason I’m here” I chuckle thinking back to how I got myself in this position. Another loud explosion shook the floors as smoke began to fill the air causing Lauren to speak up.

“I’d hate to rush you guys but we need to get out of here soon.” She stated.

“Alright, we have to find Jeremy first. I don’t even know I’m gonna say to him when I see him.” Autumn said.

“Umm Autumn...” I trailed off preparing myself to give her the bad news. She looked at me anxiously. “Jeremy didn’t make it.” I spit out looking away from the hurt expression that flashed across her face.

“No. No no no! You’re lying!” She yelled in disbelief. I just stared at her blankly feeling sorry for being the one to tell her that her brother was dead. “Oh my god no this is not happening!” she screamed burying her face in her hands. “I need to see it for myself.” She cried running down the hallway searching the rooms. Lauren called her but she didn’t listen, she just kept searching.

We pushed our way through the screaming employees following her. As she entered the last room in the hall. “Jeremy!” she sighed in disbelief. When we entered the room we saw Jeremy’s body lying in a hospital bed. There were IVs attached all throughout his arms. The heart monitor beeped slowly in the background. So he was alive after all? What’s with everyone dying and coming back?

Autumn made her way over to him and shook him gently. “Jeremy, wake up!” she called out. When he didn’t respond she shook him again. Still no response.

“He can’t hear you.” A man whispered cowering in the corner. If it wasn’t for his sudden outburst we wouldn’t even have noticed him.

“What?” Autumn asked incredulously. “What did you do to him.”

The old man flinched at the sudden raise in her voice. “There were some problems during the extraction process.” The man stammered out. “There was a severance of a small nerve fiber causing swelling in the brain.” He finished looking terrified. I didn’t blame him. If looks could kill he would have been 6 feet under by now.

“So what the hell does that mean!?” Autumn spat out, clearly agitated at his explanation.

“The swelling of his brain caused pressure to his blood vessels preventing oxygen and blood from reaching his head.” We stared at the man blankly before he dumbed it down so that we could understand. “He’s in an unresponsive coma. The chance of him ever waking up is very unlikely.” For Autumn, that was the last straw and she lifted the man off the ground and began to choke him just as Jeremy did me in the school.

“Autumn stop.” Lauren pleaded. Obediently, Autumn let the man go, but not before she tossed him into the wall on the other side of the room. He landed with a loud thud just as another explosive, this time in the hallway, went off. Another person entered the room snaking his arm around Lauren. He was olive toned with his hair cut close to his head. He was only a few inches taller than her. He gave her a small peck on her forehead before he talked.

“Even though blowing up bad guys is fun, it’s about time we get out of here before reinforcements arrive.” He said

“Alright Travis, but not without my brother.” Autumn replied.

“I’ll carry him.” I suggested. She nodded her head and whispered a small ‘thank you’ as I unhooked him from the IVs and tossed his limp body over my shoulder. Travis did the same with Lauren despite her protesting profusely. We made our way down the hallways towards the exit fighting off anyone who stood in our way. We came to final hallway that led to the exit when we were cut off by a buff Filipino guard with a gun. It was David, the guard who had been assigned to watch over me. With a sly grin he tossed Autumn a set of keys.

“Take care of my baby!” He said with a wink, referring to his car.

“Thanks David!” Autumn cheered as we walked past him and out the door to the parking lot.

“You two knew each other?” I asked confused. “Yup, we use to be neighbors before I ummm left home. He’s our man on the inside.”

“Ohh okay. Speaking of that, what happened to you then? Jeremy said you were dead.” I blurt out.

“He thought I was. I would have been if I wasn’t an evolutionary.” She answered. I could tell she was holding back something but I figured she’d talk about it when she felt like it. Besides, she barely knew me. A few moments later we arrived to David’s car. It was a black Escalade, typical of Scorpio employees. I laid Jeremy down in the very back before climbing in the front passenger. Travis and Lauren were cuddled up in the back.

“Well, that was fun.” Travis said. “Now let’s get the hell out of here.” He laughed.

I nodded my head in agreement. That was the best idea I had heard all day.

A/N: Hope you liked it haha! ]Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT! I was #18 in Action because of y'all :)