Chapter 7 - Caught

"What are you doing in here?" My father demanded. He looked shocked and pissed at the same time, but I didn't care. What the hell was he doing working for Scorpio? He of all people should have known not to be affiliated with them.

"No, what are you doing here? You work for these people?!" I whined.

"Yes, but I only work here so-" he started but I cut him off.

"How could you? You know how about all the terrible things they do to people like me and yet you proudly come here to work every day! You're just as bad as they aren't you?" I raged. Never in a thousand years would I have ever dreamed of talking to my father that way but I was heated. This was the ultimate betrayal.

"Son, listen to me, I know you're upset but if you ever talk to me like that again Scorpio will be the least of your worries. I'm still your father and you will not talk to me that way!" He bellowed. "I work here out of necessity. Every day I bust my ass so that you can have a good life and live in safety." His faced turned a light red color and the creases in his forehead became more noticeable. He let out a short sigh and stepped forward attempted to put his hand on my shoulder. When he did I took a small step back refusing the gesture. He winced slightly, obviously hurt by my response but I didn't care, I was mad.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps filled the hallway. Someone must have heard us talking and came to check it out. I looked around the room then back at my dad, my eyes pleading for help. "Get inside that cabinet over there." He said pointing to a medium sized cabinet in the corner of the room. Obediently, I jogged to the cabinet and squeezed myself inside. It was a tight fit, but I would do for now. A few seconds later, someone entered the room.

"Who were you talking to?" The person asked. It sounded like older woman, mid- forties maybe.

"No one, just myself." My father lied effortlessly. He must have been use to lying after practicing for so many years. Well, I guess I couldn't really call him a liar. He never did answer any questions about his profession, but it was the fact that he withheld that big of a secret from me for so long. I wonder did my mother know. She probably did and just didn't have it in her to tell me.

"Well then, I see you were interested in the Jeremy Davis file." The woman asked, presumably eyeing the file I had left open on the table.

"Yeah, I was just looking over the genetic material stored inside his DNA. He's has some very good genes." My father responded. For a second I had to think back to be sure he was lying. He really was good at this.

"Which is why he was such a perfect candidate for Project Evo. His powers are going to make the mission a lot easier." I could almost picture her standing in a lab coat nodding her head with a sadistic smile plastered across her face.

"Yes indeed." My father breathed.

"Well, we need to go prep for the extraction process, are you coming?" The woman asked.

"Yes, just give me a moment to put away these files."

"Okay, hurry up though."

"Sure thing." My father said as the door closed. A few seconds later I could hear him walking over to the cabinet. He opened it and motioned for me to get out of it.

"What's Project Evo?" I asked. I thought I had a pretty good idea but I just wanted to hear it from him.

"Project Evo is highly classified and we're not going to talk about it." He answered sternly. I figured he'd respond that way. "Now I have some work to do, you need to leave here is as soon and as quietly as possible."

"I'm not going anywhere Dad."

"Yes you are." He grabbed my arm lightly and started walking me towards the door.

"Let go of me!" I grumbled shaking his hands off of my arm. His eyes widened in surprise at my resistance. "I'm not going to sit back and let you experiment on my friend. What if that was me Dad? Would you let them use me like that?" I pleaded.

He looked at me for a minute trying to think of a response. "That's different. He's not you" He said finally. "You'd be smart enough not to try and break in here and kill everyone. Or at least I thought you would. You have no clue where he is located and there is no way you're going to make it past the security cameras on the third floor."

"So he's on the third floor?" I grinned.

"Tyler Charles Stephenson you are not going to play hero. You are going to go home and enjoy your life like a normal teenager."

"I'm not normal." I spitted. "I'm tired of living my life looking over my shoulder wondering if Scorpio is going to stumble upon me, and I'm tired of lying to everyone I talk to about who I am."

"Now is not the time to be having this discussion. We can finish this when we get home but for now, you need to go before someone sees you!"

As if on cue a middle aged woman with red hair entered the room, her eyes narrowed when she made eye contact with me. This must have been the woman from earlier. She marched her way over in between my father and I. "Who are you and what are you doing in here?" she questioned.

"It's my son...He came here to check on me after he saw the attack on the news. He was just leaving." My father stated.

"Understandable, but I'm still going to have to report this. You know the rules. Family members are not allowed inside the facility without the expressed consent of Dr. Odaire." The woman explained.

"Now is that really necessary?" My father asked.

"Rules are rules Dr. Stephenson. Now come on, we have work to do. I'll have the one the guards escort him outside of the gates."

"I'm not going anywhere." I huffed.

"Excuse me?" she hissed

"Tyler," my dad warned. "Don't be rude. It's getting dark out and you need to be home soon, go on."

"I can't go, please Dad." I whined.

"I've had enough of this. I'm calling security." The women said rolling her eyes.

"Dr. Cowell I can't let you do that." My father breathed calmly stepping between her and the door. I was starting to get agitated. This was just wasting my time. I needed to get Jeremy out of here before the extraction began, and at this rate I was never going to get to him in time. I grabbed one of the glass beakers off of the counter behind me and brought it down right over the top of Dr. Cowell's head causing her to collapse on the ground.

"Tyler!" My father yelped.

"Whoops, it slipped." I said running past him. "You might want to get her a pack of ice!" and just like that, I was out the door. I knew my father wouldn't come running after me, if he did, he's get me caught for sure and he wouldn't want to risk it. Besides, he had Dr. Cowell to worry about when she came to.

I rushed down the hall way quickly, ducking behind a stack of boxes when a guy in a lab coat walked by. I needed to find the stairs to get to floor three. I found them pretty quickly as they were just around the corner. I took a quick look around and then hurried up the stairs. I had barely got halfway up when I heard two people talking, coming down from the second floor. I turned around to go back down the stairs and hide when I saw a guard walking around the corner heading for the stairs. He spotted me fairly quickly and yelled. "Hey! What are you doing in here?!" His hands instinctively reached for the gun strapped to his waist. "Crap!" I thought. I was caught.

A/N: Hope you liked it! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!!